What does complex conjugate of a derivate mean?

In summary: If the operator is its own adjoint, it is Hermitian.In summary, the conversation is discussing an exercise that asks for the determination of whether a given operator is Hermitian. The expression in question involves a derivative with respect to x and the complex conjugate. There is some confusion about the meaning of the expression, with two possibilities being discussed. However, it is suggested that the exercise is likely related to quantum mechanics and the operator being its own adjoint, making it Hermitian.
jstrunk
An exercise asks me to determine whether the following operator is Hermitian:
[itex]
{\left( {\frac{d}{{dx}}} \right)^ * }.
[/itex]

I don't even know what that expression means.
a) Differentiate with respect to x, then take the complex conjugate of the result?
b) Take the complex conjugate, then differentiate with respect to x?
c) [itex]{\left( {\frac{d}{{dx}}} \right)^ * } = \frac{d}{{d{x^*}}} = \frac{d}{{dx}}[/itex]?

Can someone clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##x## is real then (a) and (b) are the same, so it probably means those.

jstrunk said:
An exercise asks me to determine whether the following operator is Hermitian:
[itex]
{\left( {\frac{d}{{dx}}} \right)^ * }.
[/itex]

I don't even know what that expression means.
a) Differentiate with respect to x, then take the complex conjugate of the result?
b) Take the complex conjugate, then differentiate with respect to x?
c) [itex]{\left( {\frac{d}{{dx}}} \right)^ * } = \frac{d}{{d{x^*}}} = \frac{d}{{dx}}[/itex]?

Can someone clarify?
The derivative wrt x of ##i\,g\left( x\right) +f\left( x\right) ## is ##i\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,x}\,g\left( x\right) \right) +\frac{d}{d\,x}\,f\left( x\right) ##.
Nuff said ?

andrewkirk said:
If ##x## is real then (a) and (b) are the same, so it probably means those.
If the original question is the context of QM, then I'll bet it doesn't mean either of those. Rather, the exercise probably intends to determine whether ##d/dx## is self-adjoint on the space of square-integrable functions.

In that case, @jstrunk: you should probably take a look at the Wikipedia page for "hermitian operators". :oldbiggrin:

The star applied to operators generally means the adjoint operator. For differential operators you can find it using integration by parts.

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a number that has the same real part as another number but has an opposite imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+2i is 3-2i.

2. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point.

3. How do you find the complex conjugate of a derivative?

To find the complex conjugate of a derivative, you first take the derivative of the given function. Then, you change the sign of the imaginary part of the resulting complex number. This new complex number is the complex conjugate of the derivative.

4. Why is the complex conjugate of a derivative important?

The complex conjugate of a derivative is important because it helps us find the critical points of a complex function. These critical points are where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined, and they can help us determine the maximum and minimum values of the function.

5. Can the complex conjugate of a derivative be a real number?

Yes, the complex conjugate of a derivative can be a real number if the original function is a real-valued function. In this case, the derivative will also be a real number, and its complex conjugate will be the same as the original number.