What field of science should I pursue as a career?

• Thread starter D246ga
  • Start date
D246ga
I'm Vin, nice to meet you all!

I've always been interested in science, long before the rigours of academia discouraged me from pursuing it as a career, but in recent months I've been feeling a strong rekindling, and am flirting with the idea of pursuing a career in the sciences.

In my past life I was a music major. Music gave me my first real identity as a person, and was the first passion of mine I ever went anywhere with. I enjoyed my time in university, but after being thrust into the service industry with no career prospects and tens of thousands of dollars of debt to haul, I knew I had to reconsider my life. I'm still pursuing music as a career, but I'm being... smarter with my investments this time around. :oldwink:

In addition, I've begun flirting with the idea of going back to school for a degree (or degrees) in science - astronomy or physics perhaps, but just which field to pursue is still a grey area for me. The field (using the term broadly) I'm most interested in is astrobiology, but whether or not I'd want to set my sights on that as a career goal is something I'm not yet sure of.

Well, that's all I've got for now. If you're interested, don't hesitate to ask me something or chat~

Let me leave you with this:

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
D246ga said:
In addition, I've begun flirting with the idea of going back to school for a degree (or degrees) in science - astrology
Astrology? Perhaps you meant astronomy. ;)

Evo said:
Astrology? Perhaps you meant astronomy. ;)
:bugeye:

Well, that's... beyond embarrassing. I did, in fact mean astronomy, yes... and you'll have to take my word for it, but I'm usually careful to avoid that mix-up (especially considering the vast difference in scientific credibility between - and my personal interest in - the two fields).

Please tell me this board has seen a more humiliatingly shameful first impression than that, haha.

D246ga said:
:bugeye:

Well, that's... beyond embarrassing. I did, in fact mean astronomy, yes... and you'll have to take my word for it, but I'm usually careful to avoid that mix-up (especially considering the vast difference in scientific credibility between - and my personal interest in - the two fields).

Please tell me this board has seen a more humiliatingly shameful first impression than that, haha.
I've made MUCH worse bloopers. Yes, it's very obvious you know the difference, and welcome to PF!