What graduate major deals the most with radiometry?

In summary, radiometry is the study of electromagnetic radiation, with a focus on the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet regions of the spectrum. Graduate programs in physics, astronomy, Earth sciences, and specific programs in remote sensing or atmospheric sciences often offer courses and research opportunities in this field. Strong skills in mathematics, physics, and computer programming are needed, as well as knowledge of optics, spectroscopy, and data analysis techniques. Research in radiometry can be conducted in various fields, including atmospheric science, remote sensing, astrophysics, and medical imaging. Graduates can pursue careers in academia, government agencies, and private companies, with job titles such as remote sensing scientist, atmospheric scientist, medical physicist, and data analyst. Opportunities for research
rtareen
I'm currently a sophomore physics major in undergraduate. I'm doing physics because I want my undergrad education to be really general. I want a goof foundation. What I'm really interested in is radiometry, which I believe is like optics but for all wavelengths, not just visible ones. I want to know about radiation, how to shield from it, how to interfere with it, etc.

Does anyone know what I should get into if I want to do this? Are there any programs that deal only with radiometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware of the field of medical physics? www.aapm.org

1. What is radiometry?

Radiometry is the scientific study of the measurement and properties of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and radio waves.

2. Which graduate major focuses on radiometry?

There are several graduate majors that may focus on radiometry, including physics, astronomy, atmospheric science, and remote sensing.

3. What skills are needed for a graduate major in radiometry?

A strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming is necessary for a graduate major in radiometry. Additionally, knowledge of optics, spectroscopy, and data analysis techniques is important.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a graduate degree in radiometry?

Graduates with a degree in radiometry may pursue careers in a variety of fields, such as remote sensing, atmospheric science, astronomy, and medical imaging. They may also work in research and development for government agencies, private companies, or universities.

5. How does radiometry contribute to scientific research?

Radiometry is essential for studying and understanding the properties and behavior of electromagnetic radiation, which is crucial for many areas of scientific research. It allows scientists to measure and analyze data from various sources, such as satellites, telescopes, and medical imaging devices, to gain insights into the physical world and the universe.