What happens before you pass out from choking?

• Thread starter Amadeus94
  • Start date
In summary, the character would lose consciousness and experience partial or total blindness if he were to be choked in a judo choke hold.
Amadeus94
Okay, so this is a weird question, I know. I am working on writing a book, and have scoured google and for some reason cannot find an answer to this. One of my characters got into a fight and is being choked to the point of his passing out. What would happen before he passed out? What would his vision be like? Would darkness like creep into his vision, would it get blurry? How long would he stay passed out?

Biology news on Phys.org
Fainting symptoms may help here. Here’s an article on syncope:

https://www.verywell.com/causes-of-fainting-1298399

Tunnel vision would one such symptom. You could imagine him seeing his surrounding in an ever shrinking circle of vision. Reminiscent of old TV sets when turned off and the picture shrinking to a dot and then nothing.

I’ve heard that when someone is placed in a BJJ chokehold they will pass out and lose control of bodily functions meaning they will wet themselves suffering some embarrassment when waking up.

jedishrfu said:
I’ve heard that when someone is placed in a BJJ chokehold they will pass out and lose control of bodily functions meaning they will wet themselves suffering some embarrassment when waking up.
How often that happens in a competition, or other scenario, as the "victim" usually goes limp.
The Judo choke hold is to cut off the blood supply to the brain, rather than inhibit the air supply ( in which case the contestant is doing it wrong - one wants to immobilization to happen fairly quickly ).

256bits said:
How often that happens in a competition, or other scenario, as the "victim" usually goes limp.
The Judo choke hold is to cut off the blood supply to the brain, rather than inhibit the air supply ( in which case the contestant is doing it wrong - one wants to immobilization to happen fairly quickly ).
Could this be seen as a temporary death or just unconsciousness?

IMO, it is a bad idea. Perhaps in very controlled situations under scrutiny from very well-trained experts, this is okay. John McLurker, 14, reading this thinks 'how cool', goes to a website for five minutes, thinks he is expert, then tries it on the late Howard Hapless, 13. I am locking the thread.

PF is all about science, but backyard judo is not what we deal with.

Likes berkeman

1. What causes someone to pass out from choking?

Passing out from choking is caused by a lack of oxygen reaching the brain. When the airway is blocked, the body is unable to get the necessary oxygen to function properly, leading to loss of consciousness.

2. How long does it take to pass out from choking?

The time it takes for someone to pass out from choking varies and depends on factors such as the severity of the blockage, the individual's physical condition, and the type of choking (partial or complete). In most cases, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

3. What are the symptoms of passing out from choking?

Some common symptoms of passing out from choking include dizziness, confusion, loss of coordination, and eventually loss of consciousness. In severe cases, there may also be bluish skin color, difficulty breathing, and loss of pulse.

4. Can someone die from passing out from choking?

Yes, if the airway is completely blocked and the individual does not receive immediate help, passing out from choking can be fatal. It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible in any choking emergency.

5. What should I do if someone is passing out from choking?

If someone is passing out from choking, it is important to act quickly. First, call for emergency medical assistance. Then, perform the Heimlich maneuver or back blows to try to dislodge the blockage. If the individual loses consciousness, perform CPR until help arrives.