What is an indirect proof for the theorem: If n^2+1 is odd, then n is even?

In summary, discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures and objects, such as integers and graphs. It is important because it provides the foundation for many other areas of mathematics and computer science, and covers topics such as set theory, logic, and combinatorics. To improve in this subject, practice and familiarize yourself with different concepts and seek additional resources. Discrete math has various real-world applications, including cryptography, algorithms, and network analysis in fields such as economics and biology.
Darkrise666
Here's the problem.

Theorem: If n^2+1 is odd, then n is even. Give indirect proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you thought to do? I would suggest thinking about the properties of even/odd numbers.

Also, I believe this is in the wrong section. It should be in math, not physics.

Related to What is an indirect proof for the theorem: If n^2+1 is odd, then n is even?

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical structures that are discrete rather than continuous. It involves the study of discrete objects and their properties, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements.

2. Why is discrete math important?

Discrete math is important because it provides the foundation for many other areas of mathematics and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and operations research.

3. What topics are covered in discrete math?

Some common topics covered in discrete math include set theory, logic, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithm analysis. Other topics may include number theory, probability, and game theory.

4. How can I improve my skills in discrete math?

To improve your skills in discrete math, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the different concepts and techniques. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online courses, and study groups to help deepen your understanding.

5. What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, including cryptography for secure communication, algorithms for efficient data processing, and network analysis for social media and transportation systems. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and linguistics.