What is happening to the sin(phi) factor in the spherical curl?

In summary, The conversation is about a problem involving taking the Curl in spherical coordinates and getting the wrong answer when applying the matrix formula. The person suggests a possible typo and mentions trouble with a factor in the second term. They also mention getting the correct answer when using an expanded notation.
FrankJ777
Homework Statement
Take the curl in the shperical coordinate system.
Relevant Equations
Same as below.
This is from my E&M textbook.
I'm doing a problem where I need to take the Curl in spherical coordinates but I'm getting the wrong answer.
I tried applying the matrix, but it doesn't seem like it make sense with the expansion that they show in the textbook (screenshot below).
If I apply the matrix formula I end up with an extra sinθ that don't get if I use the formula in the expansion.
It looks to me like in the component there should be a 1/sinθ factor outside the brackets?
I don't see what is happening in the compentent that is making the 1/sinθ factor next to the matrix disapear when we get to the component.
Am I missing something.

Thanks

1601854080384.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a typo. But I have some trouble with a factor ##r## in the second term, too, missing ##r^{-1}##. I suggest to deal with the determinant and apply the factor outside last.

fresh_42 said:
This looks like a typo. But I have some trouble with a factor ##r## in the second term, too, missing ##r^{-1}##. I suggest to deal with the determinant and apply the factor outside last.
I get the wrong answere when I use the determinant, even though I divide through with the r^2 sin(theta) last.
I do get the right answer if I use the expanded notation as a guide. So not sure if I'm applying the matrix wrong, or if there's a typo somewhere?

1. What is the sin(phi) factor in the spherical curl?

The sin(phi) factor in the spherical curl is a mathematical term that represents the angle between the vector and the z-axis in spherical coordinates. It is used to account for the change in direction of the vector as it moves in the spherical coordinate system.

2. Why is the sin(phi) factor important in the spherical curl?

The sin(phi) factor is important in the spherical curl because it helps to accurately describe the direction of the vector in spherical coordinates. Without it, the curl calculation would not take into account the change in direction of the vector as it moves in the spherical coordinate system.

3. How does the sin(phi) factor affect the calculation of the spherical curl?

The sin(phi) factor is multiplied by the derivative of the vector in the phi direction, which is then added to the derivative of the vector in the theta direction. This calculation is what gives the spherical curl its unique form and allows it to accurately describe the vector's direction in spherical coordinates.

4. Can the sin(phi) factor be negative?

Yes, the sin(phi) factor can be negative. It depends on the angle between the vector and the z-axis. If the angle is between 180 and 360 degrees, the sin(phi) factor will be negative. This is important to keep in mind when using the spherical curl equation.

5. How does the sin(phi) factor change with different values of phi?

The sin(phi) factor changes with different values of phi because it is a trigonometric function that is dependent on the angle. As the angle between the vector and the z-axis changes, the value of the sin(phi) factor will also change. This is why it is important to consider the angle when using the spherical curl equation.