What is magnitude of dynamic force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "magnitude of dynamic force" in a mass-spring system and its significance in determining the accuracy and service life of the system. The discussion also includes the use of hand sketches to visualize the force vs time relationship and how it relates to the formulas for force in an ideal spring. The conversation ends with a clarification on the concept of proportionality between force and length change in an ideal spring.
Mech_LS24
Summary:: In a mass-spring system they talk about 'magnitude of dynamic force', what is meant with that?

Hi!

In a mass-spring system I read about the term: "magnitude of dynamic force" (see sketch). What is meant with that? I the end this is used to determine the accuracy as I understand it now.
IMG_20220212_125142__010.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

It appears that the wedge makes a sudden change to the position of the end of the spring, and you want to find the force between the spring and mass. It helps if you fully specify the problem, and say so. If so, make two hand sketches of that force vs time - one with the wedge inserted VERY slowly, and the other with the wedge inserted very fast. Does the mass bounce with one case and not the other case? Discuss, and we can help clear up any confusion.

Hi thanks for helping me :).

It isn't homework, just a section out a book where I am interested in, but I can't follow what they are saying here. The statement is that we should be interested in dynamic forces because in general they will cause wear and consequently limit the service life.

It is more or less my question on what that formula is based on?

Could you elaborate a bit more on the two hand sketches of force vs time? Do you mean something like this:
IMG_20220212_19072201_01.jpg

This is more like homework, so I moved it to the physics homework forum.

The formulas are easier to understand when you can visualize what happens in a spring mass system. Try an experiment. Hang a weight from a rubber band. The weight should be heavy enough to stretch the rubber band to 1.5 to 3 times its length. Hold the free end of the rubber band and move it up and down both slowly and fast. Make a fast vertical move, then hold still. Experiment. Observe the motion of the weight, and the effect on the length of the rubber band.

Since the force is proportional to the length of the rubber band, you should be able to make some qualitative sketches showing the input (your hand movement) and the output (length of the rubber band) as a pair of lines on the same axes.

Apologies for the misplacement.

I indeed have done some experiments, with a extension spring and a weight on it. I do understand what's happening, but can't relate it to the formulas. So when I move my hand slowly the weight is following the movement, when I move my hand faster the weight is going to extend and compress, when I even move it faster the weight is just hanging there. What can I sketch from that? I am really struggling with this, as I do understand the concept...

"Since the force is proportional to the length of the rubber band"

What do you mean with proportional?

It is not at all clear to me what the diagram represents. Is there any description that goes with it?
It does appear to be a generalisation of forced oscillations, i.e. where the forcing function may be aperiodic. Reading about forced oscillations would be a good start, though.

Mech_LS24 said:
What do you mean with proportional?
In an ideal spring, which a rubber band is not, the force (compression or tension) is proportional to the change in length from its relaxed length. That is, if you double the length change then the force doubles.

In the end it is about how the output movement varies as a function of time when an input movement is applied, in other words, to determine the response. The behaviour of the output movement (x) differs from the behavior of the input movement (h'(t)). So how great is the difference between output and input movement u= x-h'(t).

The book gives two equations:
F = m*a = m*Ẍ
F = c*(x-h'(t) --> c is k

Is this want you meant with the sketch?:
IMG_20220213_114232__0101.jpg

Mech_LS24 said:
In the end it is about how the output movement varies as a function of time when an input movement is applied, in other words, to determine the response. The behaviour of the output movement (x) differs from the behavior of the input movement (h'(t)). So how great is the difference between output and input movement u= x-h'(t).

The book gives two equations:
F = m*a = m*Ẍ
F = c*(x-h'(t) --> c is k

Is this want you meant with the sketch?:
View attachment 297053
Ok, that all makes sense.
So do you still have a question?

Ok, thanks.

1. What is the definition of magnitude of dynamic force?

The magnitude of dynamic force refers to the size or strength of a force that is constantly changing or varying over time. It is a measure of the maximum amount of force that is exerted on an object during a dynamic event.

2. How is the magnitude of dynamic force different from static force?

The main difference between magnitude of dynamic force and static force is that dynamic force is constantly changing, while static force remains constant. Dynamic force is also typically larger in magnitude than static force, as it takes into account the maximum amount of force exerted during a dynamic event.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of dynamic force?

The magnitude of dynamic force can be affected by various factors, including the speed of the object, the mass of the object, and the type of surface or medium the force is acting on. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and gravity can also impact the magnitude of dynamic force.

4. How is the magnitude of dynamic force measured?

The magnitude of dynamic force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). It can be measured using tools such as force sensors or strain gauges, which can calculate the maximum force exerted on an object during a dynamic event.

5. Why is understanding the magnitude of dynamic force important in science?

Understanding the magnitude of dynamic force is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. It allows us to predict and analyze the effects of forces on objects in motion, and to design structures and machines that can withstand or utilize dynamic forces effectively.