What is meant by find the time constant?

In summary: If you want to solve for $i$, then yes, essentially you differentiate once to get the DE in terms of $i$. You can do this if you have inductors in the circuit as well. In summary, the circuit has a step input and the solution to the DE is q(t) = VC + Ae^{\frac{-R}{C}t}.
Dustinsfl
I solved a DE for an electrical circuit where the input was a step input.
\[
\mathcal{U}(t) =
\begin{cases}
0, & \text{if } t <0\\
V, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
\]
So the solved DE for \(t > 0\) is
\[
q(t) = VC + Ae^{\frac{-R}{C}t}.
\]
  1. How do I find the time constant?
  2. Also, \(q(t)\) is the charge. How can I go from \(q(t)\) to the current with respect to time?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the circuit is a series $RC$ circuit, then I don't buy your solution. Can you post the circuit? To get from charge to current, you simply use the definition of current:
$$i= \frac{dq}{dt}.$$
Incidentally, electrical engineers solve circuits for $i$, and almost never bother with charge, because current is so much easier to measure in a lab.

Ackbach said:
If the circuit is a series $RC$ circuit, then I don't buy your solution. Can you post the circuit? To get from charge to current, you simply use the definition of current:
$$i= \frac{dq}{dt}.$$
Incidentally, electrical engineers solve circuits for $i$, and almost never bother with charge, because current is so much easier to measure in a lab.

The circuit is \(\mathcal{U}(t) = iR + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\)

dwsmith said:
The circuit is \(\mathcal{U}(t) = iR + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\)

So, differentiating once yields
\begin{align*}
0&=R \frac{di}{dt}+\frac{i}{C} \\
R \frac{di}{dt}&=- \frac{i}{C} \\
\frac{di}{dt}&=- \frac{1}{RC} \, i.
\end{align*}
What is the solution to this DE?

Ackbach said:
So, differentiating once yields
\begin{align*}
0&=R \frac{di}{dt}+\frac{i}{C} \\
R \frac{di}{dt}&=- \frac{i}{C} \\
\frac{di}{dt}&=- \frac{1}{RC} \, i.
\end{align*}
What is the solution to this DE?

So that is trivial to solve. One question then. Do we always differentiate the DE to begin with after it is written?

dwsmith said:
So that is trivial to solve. One question then. Do we always differentiate the DE to begin with after it is written?

If you want to solve for $i$, then yes, essentially you differentiate once to get the DE in terms of $i$. You can do this if you have inductors in the circuit as well.

Now if some bozo (typically a physics professor like myself) wants to see the charge, you can just integrate the current and find the right integration constant.

Related to What is meant by find the time constant?

1. What is the time constant in science?

The time constant in science refers to a characteristic timescale that describes the rate at which a system or process changes over time. It is often used to understand the behavior of electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and physiological processes.

2. How is the time constant calculated?

The time constant is calculated by taking the product of the resistance and capacitance in an electrical circuit, or the product of the rate constant and the concentration in a chemical reaction. It can also be determined by measuring the time it takes for a system to reach a certain percentage of its final value.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in experiments?

The time constant is significant in experiments because it helps to understand how quickly a system will respond to changes in its environment. It also provides information about the stability and behavior of a system over time.

4. How does the time constant affect the behavior of a system?

The time constant affects the behavior of a system by determining the speed at which it responds to changes and how quickly it reaches equilibrium. A longer time constant means a slower response and vice versa.

5. Can the time constant be altered or controlled?

Yes, the time constant can be altered or controlled through changes in the system's parameters such as resistance, capacitance, or rate constant. It can also be adjusted by changing the external conditions that affect the system.