What is the angle between two skew lines?

In summary, the problem asks for a solution to an equation that is skewed and has two lines that intersect at a point. The problem asks for a plane that is at the same time parallel to one of the lines and intersects the line in a point that belongs to the line. The problem doesn't state how to find this plane.
Kernul

Homework Statement

The problem asks me to evaluate the angle between these two lines:
##r : \begin{cases}
x - 2y - 3 = 0 \\
3y + z = 0
\end{cases} s : \begin{cases}
x = 1 + 4t \\
y = 2 - 3t \\
z = 3
\end{cases}##
both oriented to the decreasing ##y##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Having found ##\vec v_r = (-2, -1, 3)##, ##\vec v_s = (4, -3, 0)##, ##P_r (1, -1, 3)##, and ##P_s (1, 2, 3)##
I already know that the lines are askew. I then found out that in order to find the angle between the two lines, I have to first find a plane containing one of the two lines(for example ##r##) that is at the same time parallel to the other one(in this example ##s##). In a few words I have to find a line parallel to ##s## that meets the line ##r## in a point that belongs to ##r##.
The thing is that I don't know how to find that parallel line to ##s## that at the same time passes into a point ##P_r## belonging to the line ##r##.
Should I take one of the Cartesian equations of ##r## and see the projection of ##s## on it so to have the parallel line? And then see the interjection between this parallel line and ##r##? Or I should proceed in another way?
By the way, this is the Cartesian form of the ##s## line I found:
##s : \begin{cases}
\frac{3}{4}x + y - \frac{11}{4} = 0 \\
z - 3 = 0
\end{cases}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the dot product = scalar product? You don't have to construct new planes and whatever, once you have vr and vs the angle can be found in a single line on paper.

Likes Kernul
mfb said:
Do you know the dot product = scalar product? You don't have to construct new planes and whatever, once you have vr and vs the angle can be found in a single line on paper.
Ohw... I was so concentrated on the parallel line I didn't thought of that...
Thank you and sorry.

1. What is the definition of "angle between two skew lines"?

The angle between two skew lines is the smallest angle that can be formed by connecting a point on one line with a point on the other line, with both points being perpendicular to their respective lines.

2. How is the angle between two skew lines calculated?

The angle between two skew lines can be calculated using the dot product or cross product of the direction vectors of the lines. Alternatively, it can also be found using the Law of Cosines.

3. Can the angle between two skew lines be negative?

No, the angle between two skew lines cannot be negative. It is always measured in a positive direction, from 0 to 180 degrees.

4. What is the significance of the angle between two skew lines in geometry?

The angle between two skew lines helps determine the relative position of the lines in three-dimensional space. It also plays a crucial role in solving problems involving intersection and distance between skew lines.

5. Can the angle between two skew lines ever be equal to 90 degrees?

No, the angle between two skew lines can never be 90 degrees. This is because two lines are considered skew when they do not intersect and are not parallel, and the angle between two parallel lines is always 0 degrees.