What is the Angular Speed of Tires with a Radius of 31 cm and a Speed of 12 m/s?

In summary, the tires of a car have a radius of 31 cm. The angular speed of these tires when the car is driven at 12 m/s is .3871 rad/s.
eagles12

Homework Statement

The tires of a car have a radius of 31 cm. What is the angular speed of these tires when the car is driven at 12 m/s?

Homework Equations

w=θ/t

The Attempt at a Solution

θ=d/r
θ=d/31

Physics news on Phys.org
eagles12 said:

Homework Statement

The tires of a car have a radius of 31 cm. What is the angular speed of these tires when the car is driven at 12 m/s?

Homework Equations

w=θ/t

The Attempt at a Solution

θ=d/r
θ=d/31

Maybe you could try to expand a bit on your attempt at the solution? You didn't even include the velocity of 12m/s in your attempt.

What is the circumference of tires that have a radius of 31 cm? Be sure to keep units consistent -- usually you convert it all into meters.

circumference=194.77
12=wr
im not sure if that is the way to use the 12

The tangental speed of the tires are the same as the speed of the car. This is because there is assumed no slipping of the tires - they are always in "non-moving" contact, just rolling. In other words, the distance the car travels in time t is equal to the distance gone around the circumference of the tires in time t. Think of the tire laying out a "print"/line as its contact point rolls some distance.

Thinking about this should help you solve this problem.

so 194.77=the distance traveled
so θ=6.2829
so w=.3871 does this seem right?

Did you make sure to convert the radius from cm to m?

after i converted i got 39 but it says that is incorrect

Maybe you have over rounded?

i went to four significant figures in each calculation but i had to give my answer in two

Ok. So you have the answer now? :)

its still saying my answer is incorrect

The angular speed should be ~38.71 rad/s as you had before converting cm to m.

got it! thanks!

1. What is angular speed of tires?

Angular speed of tires refers to the rate at which the tires rotate around their center axis. It is measured in radians per second and is an important factor in determining the speed and performance of a vehicle.

2. How is angular speed of tires related to linear speed?

The angular speed of tires and linear speed are directly related. The linear speed of a vehicle is equal to the product of the angular speed and the radius of the tire. This means that as the angular speed of the tires increases, so does the linear speed of the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of tires?

The main factor that affects the angular speed of tires is the rotational speed of the engine. Other factors include the size and weight of the tires, the surface on which the vehicle is driving, and the air pressure in the tires.

4. How does the angular speed of tires affect the handling of a vehicle?

The angular speed of tires plays a crucial role in the handling of a vehicle. If the angular speed is too low, the vehicle may have difficulty turning and may feel sluggish. On the other hand, if the angular speed is too high, the vehicle may be difficult to control and could potentially lead to accidents.

5. Can the angular speed of tires be adjusted?

Yes, the angular speed of tires can be adjusted by changing the gear ratio of the transmission. This can be done manually in a manual transmission vehicle or automatically in a vehicle with an automatic transmission. Additionally, the angular speed can also be adjusted by changing the tire size or by increasing or decreasing the air pressure in the tires.