What is the best QM textbook for me?

In summary: Thank you for sharing your experience with me, but I am not looking to find an answer in a QM textbook, but trying to make one by understanding the QM concepts and hopefully using that understanding to find a better textbook.
SEYED2001
Summary:: I am a last year high school student. I haven't chosed physics for my course, but I am very interested in QM, because I believe it act lik a gateway to the meaning of existence, and so the nature of mind, my particular interest. I want to know which textbook is the best for me.

I am a last year high school student. I haven't chosed physics for my course, but I am very interested in QM, because I believe it act lik a gateway to the meaning of existence, and so the nature of mind, my particular interest. I want to know which textbook is the best for me.

I know some calculus, e.g. gradient and directional differentiation in multivariable calculus. I also know some linear algebra, like eigenvectors and matrix transformations. I also know differential equations (only first and second order).

I am looking for a textbook that doesn't just tell me some equations to memorize, but also where did they comme from and what they mean. I also want a textbook that is general, so many topics (preferably including relativity) are covered. I want it to be detailed as well, so I can learn many things for only one topic.

Th most important characteristic that I want my draem textbook (!) to have is mentioning where does each theory/equation come from. For example, where has the schrodinger equation come from? What does it mean to apply a wave equation to an electron? What does it mean to behave like a wave? These are the sort of questions I want to know, as well as learning the skills required to handle different equations to come up with new theories.

Thank you in advance
Seyed

Physics news on Phys.org
SEYED2001 said:
Summary:: I am a last year high school student. I haven't chosed physics for my course, but I am very interested in QM, because I believe it act lik a gateway to the meaning of existence, and so the nature of mind, my particular interest. I want to know which textbook is the best for me.

I am a last year high school student. I haven't chosed physics for my course, but I am very interested in QM, because I believe it act lik a gateway to the meaning of existence, and so the nature of mind, my particular interest. I want to know which textbook is the best for me.

I know some calculus, e.g. gradient and directional differentiation in multivariable calculus. I also know some linear algebra, like eigenvectors and matrix transformations. I also know differential equations (only first and second order).

I am looking for a textbook that doesn't just tell me some equations to memorize, but also where did they comme from and what they mean. I also want a textbook that is general, so many topics (preferably including relativity) are covered. I want it to be detailed as well, so I can learn many things for only one topic.

Th most important characteristic that I want my draem textbook (!) to have is mentioning where does each theory/equation come from. For example, where has the schrodinger equation come from? What does it mean to apply a wave equation to an electron? What does it mean to behave like a wave? These are the sort of questions I want to know, as well as learning the skills required to handle different equations to come up with new theories.

Thank you in advance
Seyed
Try this to start with:

https://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys304/Handouts/QuantumPhysicsNotes.pdf

Thank you sir! Once I finished it, I will post another question asking for further guidance. Thank you very much!

SEYED2001 said:
but I am very interested in QM, because I believe it act lik a gateway to the meaning of existence, and so the nature of mind, my particular interest. I want to know which textbook is the best for me.
I'm afraid there is no QM textbook for you, if your primary goal is to understand the nature of mind.

Demystifier said:
I'm afraid there is no QM textbook for you, if your primary goal is to understand the nature of mind.
Thank you for your comment; I wonder why you believe (or know) that QM wouldn't be an appropriate approach to understand the existence of mind?

SEYED2001 said:
Thank you for your comment; I wonder why you believe (or know) that QM wouldn't be an appropriate approach to understand the existence of mind?
Because I know many QM textbooks. Most of them say absoletely nothing about the mind. A few of them say something, but at a rather vague and superficial level.

Demystifier said:
Because I know many QM textbooks. Most of them say absoletely nothing about the mind. A few of them say something, but at a rather vague and superficial level.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me, but I am not looking to find an answer in a QM textbook, but trying to make one by understanding the QM concepts and hopefully use them, along neuroscientific and philosophic ones, in order to develop a better understanding of the mind. I am not sure if QM is the right approach, so I would probably post a question here asking about it. You also mentioned that some QM textbooks talk about mind. Would you please tell me which textbooks have done that? I really want to know how does mind look like in a quantum physical viewpoint. Thank you once again.

SEYED2001 said:
You also mentioned that some QM textbooks talk about mind. Would you please tell me which textbooks have done that?
For instance von Neumann, Mathematical Foundations of Quantum mechanics (last chapter)

• Informative
Likes SEYED2001
Thank you very much!

SEYED2001 said:
...but I am not looking to find an answer in a QM textbook, but trying to make one by understanding the QM concepts and hopefully use them...

Maybe, the book “Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness” by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner might be of help as a start.
https://quantumenigma.com/

Thank you all for your help. Hopefully, I would have enough time to read these all and arrive at a conclusion before my death.

Demystifier said:
It's not science, if you ask me, or can you give a scientific definition of what "mind" or "consciousness" might be?

One should be very careful with books who claim otherwise. Most are esoterics rather than science, and the quantum-esoterics bookshelf is pretty large, because it might sell better than scientific textbooks.:headbang:

• Informative
Likes Motore and SEYED2001
SEYED2001 said:
Thank you all for your help. Hopefully, I would have enough time to read these all and arrive at a conclusion before my death.
Well, it depends on what your conclusion will be. If it will be "the mind is still a mystery and quantum mechanics doesn't help to demystify it", you can arrive at that much before the death. :biggrin:

Likes SEYED2001 and vanhees71
Trying to use QM to study the phenomenom of mind and conciousness is a laudable effort, of course. Having said that, if you actually want to do a serious scientific work you have to fully learn standard QM on its own, so just use standard textbooks.

For example, Griffiths for a very first reading of the theory then go for Cohen-Tannoudji.

Griffiths is very confusing however (see the plethora of threads from confused students of this textbook). Cohen-Tannoudji seems to be much better. Our textbook in my undergrad. studies at the university was Sakurai (revised edition with Tuan), and I still consider it a very good textbooks to start with. Another very valuable read is the Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics and Pauli's encyclopedia article on wave mechanics. It's available in English as a textbook.

For a no-nonsense discussion of interpretational issues, see the book by Peres, Quantum Theory - Concepts and Methods.

SEYED2001 said:
Thank you for your suggestions. I am planning to read
https://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys304/Handouts/QuantumPhysicsNotes.pdf
How do you compare these lecture notes with the textbooks you've mentioned, e.g. Sakurai?

I recommended those notes because a) it is probably the most accessible undergraduate level material I have seen; b) even if you skip some of the maths you can get a good insight into where QM comes from and why it's eminently plausible as a fundamental theorem of nature; c) there is a lot of background and exposition on the concepts, eperiments and theory; very little is pulled out of the hat.

Griffiths, I would say, is a more hard-core introduction to wave-mechanics. I like it, but unless you have undergraduate level mathematics, it's of limited applicability. He just bangs out the Schrodinger equation on page 1 and gets on with it.

Sakurai is a deep and beautiful introductory treatment. But, it demands a significant aptitude for abstract concepts and mathematics.

Likes SEYED2001
I taught a course using Gasiorowicz and liked it very much (doesn't seem to be that popular!?). Had the good fortune to be taught by Kurt Gottfried and like his QM textbook very much. Sakurai is very good.

Likes vanhees71
hutchphd said:
I taught a course using Gasiorowicz and liked it very much (doesn't seem to be that popular!?). Had the good fortune to be taught by Kurt Gottfried and like his QM textbook very much. Sakurai is very good.
Thank you all. So I will read the lecture notes as planned before, then I will probably ask you which textbook to read next. Thank you all for helping me!

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the best QM textbook for beginners?

The best QM textbook for beginners is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the principles of quantum mechanics and is written in a clear and accessible manner.

2. What is the best QM textbook for advanced students?

The best QM textbook for advanced students is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. It covers advanced topics in quantum mechanics and provides a rigorous mathematical approach to the subject.

3. What is the best QM textbook for self-study?

The best QM textbook for self-study is "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, and Franck Laloë. It is a comprehensive textbook that includes detailed explanations and exercises for self-study.

4. What is the best QM textbook for experimentalists?

The best QM textbook for experimentalists is "Quantum Physics for Scientists and Technologists" by Paul Sanghera. It focuses on the practical applications of quantum mechanics and includes examples and exercises related to experimental techniques.

5. What is the best QM textbook for those interested in applications?

The best QM textbook for those interested in applications is "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller. It covers the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and also includes applications in areas such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.