What is the distance to the target?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a person fires a rifle at a target and hears the bullet strike the target 1.00s after firing, with a muzzle speed of 20 m/s and air temperature of 72 degrees F. The speed of sound formula is mentioned and two different solutions for the distance to the target are given, with the reason for adding instead of subtracting the bullet's speed and the sound's speed explained. It is clarified that this is not a homework question, but rather a question for self-learning.
oneplusone
Hello.

Homework Statement

A person holds a rifle horizontally and fires at a target. The bullet has a muzzle speed of 20 m/s and the person hears the bullet strike the target 1.00s after firing it. The air temperature is 72 degrees F. What is the distance to the target?

Homework Equations

speed of sound = 331 + 0.6*T (where T =temp in celcius)

Note

I tried solving the problem, and got a different answer than from my solutions manuel. I was just wondering how everyone else would solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
oneplusone said:
speed of sound = 331 + 0.6*T (where T =temp in celcius)

I think you should use the more general formula for the speed of sound that is [itex]sqrt(gamma*RT/M)[/itex]. Moreover, show your attempt with the formula you used.

darkxponent said:
I think you should use the more general formula for the speed of sound that is [itex]sqrt(gamma*RT/M)[/itex]. Moreover, show your attempt with the formula you used.
... and the answer from the solutions manual.
(Fwiw, I would have thought drag on the bullet would be more significant than variations in the speed of sound.)

(°F - 32) * 5/9 = °C
(72 - 32) * 5/9 = 22.22 °C
22.22*0.6 + 331 = 344.33 m/s

it takes one second for the bullet to reach the target and then for the sound to travel back to you so using
d=vt
t(1s) = (d/344.3)+(d/20)
factor out a d

1s = d((1/344.3)+(1/20))
d = 1/((1/344.3)+(1/20))
d = 18.9 m

Hope I did that correctly and hope you could follow along! This should be the answer you get

Last edited:
Not sure how to delete a post so i guess this will stay here emarrasingly indefinitely

Last edited:
cmcraes said:
Not sure how to delete a post so i guess this will stay here emarrasingly indefinitely
The main problem with your post is that it is not how this forum works. We don't do people's homework for them. The idea is to nudge in the right direction and point out flaws in arithmetic, algebra or reasoning. So far, oneplusone has not posted enough detail to comment on (beyond that comment).

ok sorry :/

Hello,

Sorry, i wasn't able to get onto a computer until now.
I did what cmcraes did, except I subtracted instead of added.
Is the reason why you added that the bullet pushes the air which creates the sound, so the sound is the combined velocity of the bullet and the sound? or why do you add?
And this isn't a homework question, (I'm trying to learn physics on my own).

You add because you have to remember that From the time you pull the trigger, to when the sound reaches your ears is one second. So you add the time it takes the bullet to hit the target to the time it takes the sound to reach you from the target.
(since that equals 1, and t=d/v, than (d/V_sound + d/V_Bullet) must equal one!) hope that made sense! :)

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium. In dry air at room temperature, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second (m/s).

2. Does the speed of sound change?

Yes, the speed of sound can vary depending on the medium it is traveling through. It is affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude.

3. How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using a device called a sound level meter, which measures the time it takes for a sound to travel a known distance. It can also be calculated using the formula speed = distance/time.

4. Does the speed of sound vary in different materials?

Yes, the speed of sound can vary in different materials. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids or gases due to the denser molecules in solids.

5. How does the speed of sound compare to the speed of light?

The speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light. In fact, sound travels over a million times slower than light, which is why we can see lightning before we hear the thunder.