What is the energy release of the CNO cycle in carbon fusion?

In summary, the energy release of an entire cycle through the reaction and other details you would think would be important about the CNO cycle are found on the Wikipedia page.
VictorMedvil
I would like details on CNO Cycle Carbon Fusion about the exact energy release of an entire cycle through the reaction and other details you would think would be important about the CNO cycle.
download.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The Wikipedia page gives the energy release, as well as many other details. Do you have specific questions?

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
phyzguy said:
The Wikipedia page gives the energy release, as well as many other details. Do you have specific questions?
Not exactly, I was wanting to try and construct a CNO cycle reactor, what do you think would be some important stuff to know?

What do you mean by "construct a CNO cycle reactor"? A physical reactor? Out of the question unless you have a spare star handy. Or do you mean a computer model?

Likes Astronuc
No, a Physical Reactor... I realize that the temperatures required are like 20 million to 600 million kelvin(Proof of Temperature) however it is still a project. Just give me some other important details man...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes PAllen and Astronuc
VictorMedvil said:
No, a Physical Reactor... I realize that the temperatures required are like 20 million to 600 million kelvin(Proof of Temperature) however it is still a project. Just give me some other important details man...
You must be kidding!

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
mathman said:
You must be kidding!
Whatever man, this is why no meaningful discussion can happen on the physics forums, maybe not with current superconductors or plasma heating techniques is this possible however it will be possible within 5 to 20 years, I would assume from the current advancement of human technology in fusion. However that is not the point of this thread, the point of this thread was to gain meaningful information about the CNO cycle.

You have already got the moderator involved for no reason other than to waste his time, so I am sure this post will be banned within hours because of how strict the topic regulations are on this forum.

If you don't think fusion will ever advance to the point that we will be able to contain CNO cycle fusion or sustain it you are a fool, but then some people did back in the 1900s think that the United States Government and Oppenheimer were fools about trying to make a atomic bomb however history proved them fools too. They said such things as, "But you would have to exactly control the fission of a atom" However those people did not have vision as we know today.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes Astronuc and Motore
Try calculating the bremsstrahlung losses from your plasma and compare that to the energy generated by the CNO cycle. I think you will find that it is a net loss. Unless your reactor is large enough that the bremmstrahlung radiation cannot escape (like in a star), your reactor will have net loss of energy. Don't take my word for it, do the calculation.

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
phyzguy said:
Try calculating the bremsstrahlung losses from your plasma and compare that to the energy generated by the CNO cycle. I think you will find that it is a net loss. Unless your reactor is large enough that the bremmstrahlung radiation cannot escape (like in a star), your reactor will have net loss of energy. Don't take my word for it, do the calculation.
Thank you, see that is the type of information I made this thread for.

Possible within 5 to 20 years? Extremely unlikely! Current fusion technology (tokomak or laser) has been promising success for 30 years, since around 1960. They seem to be no nearer.

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
mathman said:
Possible within 5 to 20 years? Extremely unlikely! Current fusion technology (tokomak or laser) has been promising success for 30 years, since around 1960. They seem to be no nearer.
Yes possibly I won't deny that fusion technology has taken longer than expected by people, however what doesn't, innovation and invention is a thing that takes time.

phyzguy said:
So, what you are telling me is I would have to heat the water or whatever coolant that produces energy when tossed through a generator with bremsstrahlung and other radiations emitted from the plasma, thank you for this insight.

• Sad
Likes Motore
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. What is the CNO cycle?

The CNO cycle, also known as the carbon-nitrogen-oxygen cycle, is a nuclear fusion process that occurs in the cores of stars, including our Sun. It involves the fusion of hydrogen nuclei to form helium, with carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen acting as catalysts for the reaction.

2. How does the CNO cycle release energy?

The CNO cycle releases energy through the conversion of mass into energy, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. This occurs as the nuclei of hydrogen atoms combine to form helium, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

3. What is the role of carbon in the CNO cycle?

Carbon acts as a catalyst in the CNO cycle, meaning it facilitates the fusion reaction without being consumed itself. It is the most abundant element involved in the cycle and plays a crucial role in the energy production of stars.

4. How does the energy release of the CNO cycle compare to other fusion processes?

The energy release of the CNO cycle is lower compared to other fusion processes, such as the proton-proton chain. However, it is the dominant energy production mechanism in stars with higher mass and temperature, such as red giants and supergiants.

5. Can the CNO cycle occur in all stars?

No, the CNO cycle requires high temperatures and densities to occur, so it only takes place in stars with a mass greater than about 1.3 times the mass of our Sun. Smaller stars, such as red dwarfs, do not have the necessary conditions for the CNO cycle.