What is the Force and Speed at Different Points on a Rollercoaster?

In summary, a block of mass 1.62 kg slides down a frictionless incline, starting at a height of 3.91 m above the bottom of the loop. The force of the inclined track on the block at the bottom (point A) is found to be \frac{124.31}{R} + 15.89 Joules. The force of the track on the block at point B is dependent on the unknown tangential velocity and height of the block, which can be found using trigonometric relations. The block leaves the track at a speed of 8.76 m/s and lands on level ground a distance away from point A, also dependent on R. A sketch of the potential energy U(x
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

A block of mass [tex] m = 1.62 kg [/tex] slides down a frictionless incline as in the figure(link at the bottom). The block is released at a height of [tex] h = 3.91 m [/tex] above the bottom of the loop.
(a) What is the force of the inclined track on the block at the bottom (point A)?
(b) What is the force of the track on the block at point B?
(c) At what speed does the block leave the track?
(d) How far away from point A does the block land on level ground?
(e) Sketch the potential energy [tex] U(x) [/tex] of the block. Indicate the total energy on the sketch.

Homework Equations

[tex] E = K + U [/tex]
[tex] a = m \frac{v^2}{R} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since the track is frictionless, total energy is constant. Therefore, we can calculate the energy at the top of the track (and this has to be the same at every part throughout the trip).

[tex] E = K_{top} + U_{top} [/tex]
[tex] E = 0 + U_{top} [/tex]
[tex] E = mgh [/tex] Which I can find (62.14 J).

Now, this must be the energy everywhere during the trip. Therefore, at the bottom (point A):
[tex] E = K_{A} + U_{A} [/tex]
[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_{A}^2 + mgh_{A} [/tex]
[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_{A}^2 + 0 [/tex] Since [tex] h_{A} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_{A}^2 [/tex]
[tex] v_{A} = \sqrt{2gh} [/tex] Which I find to be ( 8.76 m/s ).

Now, to answer part (a), at point A:
[tex] N - mg = ma = m\frac{v_{A}^2}{R} [/tex]
[tex] N = mg + m \frac{v_{A}^2}{R} [/tex] Which is ([tex] \frac{124.31}{R} + 15.89 [/tex] Joules)

Is there any way to find what [tex] R [/tex] is?

Part (b):
When the block is at point B,
[tex] N - mgcos(45^{\circ}) = m \frac{v_{B}^2}{R} [/tex]
[tex] N = mgcos(45^{\circ}) + m \frac{v_{B}^2}{R} [/tex]

The problem here is, I don't know [tex] v_{B} [/tex], and I think I can only figure it out if I know [tex] h_{B} [/tex], which I cannot see how to find.

Any help would be appreciated! (Then I can continue working the other parts)

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3923/physicsg.jpg"

Note: In the figure, [tex] \alpha = 45^{\circ} [/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since R was not given, your answers will be in terms of R.

Okay, I see. All of my answers will be in terms of [tex] R [/tex].

Can anyone give me any hints on how to find [tex] v_B [/tex] and [tex] h_B [/tex]?

Thanks!

You know the angle and the radius R. So you can find the tangential velocity and the height using trigonometric relations. Again, these answers will be in terms of R.

Related to What is the Force and Speed at Different Points on a Rollercoaster?

1. What is a "Rollercoaster Type Problem"?

A "Rollercoaster Type Problem" is a type of mathematical or engineering problem that involves analyzing the motion and forces of a rollercoaster. It can include topics such as velocity, acceleration, energy, and momentum.

2. How do you solve a "Rollercoaster Type Problem"?

To solve a "Rollercoaster Type Problem", you will need to use equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. You will also need to have a good understanding of the mechanics of a rollercoaster and how it moves.

3. What are some real-life applications of "Rollercoaster Type Problems"?

"Rollercoaster Type Problems" have many real-life applications, such as designing and building roller coasters, analyzing the safety and efficiency of amusement park rides, and understanding the physics behind extreme sports such as skateboarding and snowboarding.

4. What are some common challenges when solving "Rollercoaster Type Problems"?

One of the main challenges in solving "Rollercoaster Type Problems" is accurately accounting for all the forces acting on the rollercoaster, including friction, air resistance, and centripetal force. Another challenge is understanding and applying the correct equations and principles to the specific problem at hand.

5. How can solving "Rollercoaster Type Problems" contribute to scientific advancements?

By solving "Rollercoaster Type Problems", scientists and engineers can gain a better understanding of the principles of motion and forces, which can be applied to other areas of science and technology. It can also help in designing more efficient and safe rollercoasters and other amusement park rides, and in developing new and innovative extreme sports equipment.