What is the formula for the charge of a charged soap bubble?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of charge for a soap bubble with a given radius and wall thickness, charged to a potential of 100V. The participants debate whether the wall thickness is negligible and if it affects the calculation. The question of the outside radius is also raised, with the conclusion that it is negligible compared to the given values.
Pandabasher

Homework Statement

A soap bubble of radius 0.1mm has a wall thickness of 3.3x10^-8m, and is charged to a potential of 100V. Give a formula for the charge of the bubble.

I know this is probably a really easy question, but I've only ever done problems with spheres of negligible wall thickness, so not sure if the wall makes a difference.
I know the equation for potential, so I could just rearrange that to get get Q.

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some malicious profs have a tendency to give you irrelevant data. Did you know that? :biggrin:

Real question is: what is the outside radius? Is it 0.1mm or 0.1mm + 3.3e-8m? The problem as stated doesn't say, but you'll have to make an assumption. Of course, 3.3e-8 << 1e-4.

I think the point is that the thickness IS negligible as you say, so I've been trolled by Professor after all, haha. Thanks.

1. What is the "charged soap bubble problem"?

The charged soap bubble problem is a physics experiment that involves creating a soap bubble and then charging it with electricity. This creates a unique situation where the bubble is both electrically charged and has surface tension holding it together.

2. How is a soap bubble charged?

A soap bubble can be charged by creating an electrical circuit using a battery, wires, and a conductive material such as aluminum foil. One end of the wire is connected to the battery, while the other end is attached to the foil. The foil is then placed on the surface of the bubble, causing it to become charged.

3. What happens when a soap bubble is charged?

When a soap bubble is charged, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the electric charge and the surface tension of the bubble. This force causes the bubble to change shape and can even cause it to split into smaller bubbles.

4. What is the significance of the charged soap bubble problem?

The charged soap bubble problem is significant because it demonstrates the interaction between electricity and surface tension, two fundamental concepts in physics. It also has practical applications, such as in the study of colloidal particles and the creation of microfluidic devices.

5. How is the charged soap bubble problem relevant to everyday life?

The charged soap bubble problem may seem like a simple experiment, but it has real-world applications. For example, it can be used to understand the behavior of charged particles in a liquid, which is important in fields such as environmental science and medicine. Additionally, the principles involved in this problem can be applied to create new technologies, such as sensors and drug delivery systems.