What is the Fourier Transform of 1/t?

In summary, the student is trying to find the Fourier transform of 1/t, but is having difficulty. He has found that the integral from -inf to inf of sinx/x does not exist, and that the Fourier transform of 1/t is -i*pi*sgn(w). He is also trying to find the Fourier transform of 1/sqrt x, but is having difficulty.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier Transform of [tex] \frac {1}{t} [/tex]

Homework Equations

Euler's equations I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried splitting up the integral into two. One from [tex] -\inf [/tex] to 0 and the other from 0 to [tex] \inf [/tex]. Not much help there. I tried using [tex] e^{ix} = cos(x) + isin(x) [/tex]. I am pretty sure that is the way to go, but I can't seem to make it work. I think the answer is plus or minus i (from google searches), but I can't make the steps to get there. Could someone give me some tips, or out line the steps? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know that the integral from 0 to infinity of sinx/x is pi/2 !

Thank you, that does help. My teach. said don't use a table though... But this is better than nothing.

What is the integral from 0 to inf for cosx/x ?

cos(x) = sin(x+pi/2)

quasar987 said:
cos(x) = sin(x+pi/2)

The integral of cos(x)/x from 0 to infinity just plain does not exist. As far as I know you can't do things like the Fourier transform of 1/t by changing them into real integrals. You have to express them as contour integrals in the complex plane and pick a convergent contour or pull a residue theorem argument. Or do you know some trick I don't??

No, I suppose you'Re right!

bah, that's not what I want to hear!

We did some complex integration with poles in a different class. I didnt get it at all. I don't think that is required for this class. I am going to stick with the sinx/x = pi/2 unless somebody has a better idea.

If you've looked up the results then you should know that the integral of (1/t)*exp(i*t*x) depends on a discrete function of the value of x. That's a pretty sure sign that a contour choice is involved. Neglect this at your own risk.

Hello. I am new to Fourier transforms. Also I have not studied contour integration. In entry 309 in the table on wikipedia the answer to the Fourier transform of 1/t = − i*pi*sgn(w).

The answer I get is i*pi*sgn(t). I'm not sure where the (-) comes from. I get, skipping a few steps: the integral with limits from -inf to inf of isin(wt)/t dt.

From my notes the integral from -inf to inf of sin(wt)/t would be = pi*sgn(w). I would assume when an imaginary number is in there you just treat it as a constant?

What am I missing here? Is my assumption wrong?

Thanks.

Hey,
Using Euler's formula, I'v found the FT of 1/(Pi*t) as -j. integration of cos(x)/x from -inf to inf is zero, as odd function. And using integration of sin(x)/x from -inf to inf = Pi. Using these two we easily can get FT of 1/(Pi.t) is equal to -j.
Using a known FT of rectangular(t/Tau) and X(0) or x(0) formulas of FT and IFT we can get the integration of sin(x)/x.

Last edited:
fourier sine transform of 1/sqrt x

can u please help me out with Fourier sine transform of 1/ sqrt x

i need the solution asap...

are u here?quasar987

ok, 1/t is like 1/w, if you times the numerator and denominator by j its like the Duality property (j* 1/(jt) ), so its like j2*pi*x(-w) = 2j*pi(-0.5+u(-w))
as you can see from the 1/jw transformation on the table.

This thread is like 4 years old. Why did you grave dig it?

Because I wanted to know the answer and I didn't think it had been adoquately addressed, because It hadn't, so I solved it for the next person to find it on google.

Related to What is the Fourier Transform of 1/t?

What is the Fourier Transform of 1/t?

The Fourier Transform of 1/t is an integral transform that converts a function in the time domain (1/t) to a function in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function.

What is the mathematical formula for the Fourier Transform of 1/t?

The mathematical formula for the Fourier Transform of 1/t is given by: F(ω) = ∫1/t e^(-jωt) dt, where F(ω) denotes the transformed function in the frequency domain and ω represents the frequency variable.

What is the significance of the Fourier Transform of 1/t in signal processing?

The Fourier Transform of 1/t is an important tool in signal processing as it allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal. It is particularly useful in filtering, noise reduction, and data compression applications.

What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Transform of 1/t?

The Fourier Transform of 1/t has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. Some common applications include audio and image processing, signal analysis, and data compression. It is also used in areas such as medical imaging, radar and sonar systems, and financial market analysis.

What are the limitations of the Fourier Transform of 1/t?

Although the Fourier Transform of 1/t is a powerful tool in signal processing, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the signal is periodic, and it does not work well with signals that have discontinuities or sharp changes. Additionally, it cannot be used to analyze non-stationary signals, which vary over time. In these cases, other transform methods, such as the Short-Time Fourier Transform, may be more appropriate.