What is the goal of the problem?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a matrix H and the goal of solving for x. There are two arrays mentioned - U and ##V^T## - and the correct answer shows a vector for p. The person asking for help is having trouble understanding why their results are different from the solution and is asking for a complete problem statement to help determine the issue.
nao113
Homework Statement
Hello, I tried to solve SVD questions using python. I already got the answer for this . Then, I tried to use python to solve this case by looking at thee tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_So8j8T-E1o&list=PLRDl2inPrWQW1QSWhBU0ki-jq_uElkh2a&index=43.
But when I tried by myself. I found the value of U and VT are different from the correct answer.

Can anyone point out what I did wrong here?
Relevant Equations
I put them below
Question:
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 18.47.24.png

Correct Answer:
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 17.07.42.png

U and VT in code:
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 18.41.50.png

Physics news on Phys.org
From your post it's difficult to understand what you are doing. In the problem statement, the only information given is the matrix H. What is the goal of the problem? Are either p or x given? The image shows ##p = Hx##. Is the goal to solve for x?

In your work, you show an array named U, but it doesn't match the array named U in what you show as the correct answer. Your array U looks similar to the array named ##V^T## in the solution, but some of the array entries have different signs. The correct answer shows a vector for p. Was that given?

If you provide a complete problem statement, maybe we can help you figure out why you're getting different results than are shown in the solution.

Likes Delta2

What is the goal of the problem?

The goal of a problem can vary depending on the specific situation and field of study. Generally, the goal of a problem is to find a solution or explanation for a particular issue or question.

Why is it important to define the goal of a problem?

Defining the goal of a problem is important because it provides direction and focus for the research or investigation. It also helps to ensure that the problem is clearly understood and that the appropriate methods and tools are used to solve it.

How do you determine the goal of a problem?

Determining the goal of a problem involves identifying the specific issue or question that needs to be addressed, considering the available resources and constraints, and defining the desired outcome or solution.

Can the goal of a problem change during the research process?

Yes, the goal of a problem can change during the research process as new information is gathered and analyzed. It is important to regularly reassess and adjust the goal as needed to ensure that the research remains focused and relevant.

What happens if the goal of a problem is not clearly defined?

If the goal of a problem is not clearly defined, it can lead to confusion, wasted time and resources, and potentially incorrect or inconclusive results. It is important to clearly define the goal at the beginning of the research process to avoid these issues.