What machines are used to manufacture extruder screws for 3D printers?

In summary: You will need to modify the lathe. The lead screw on a lathe is probably finer than the screw you are grinding. Because the pitch of the extruder screw is longer, you will need to drive the lathe lead-screw very slowly with a motor and reduction gearbox. The chuck holding the extruder screw is then driven from the lead screw through a reduction gearbox.
Tung Jian Seng
Currently I am working on an assignment about making an extruder screw for screw based 3D printer. I am confused that actually what kind of machines those manufactures out there using to manufacture this kind of extruder screws ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

A Google Images search on extruder screw design gives lots of good hits. Here is one:

1613849829478.png

Likes Tung Jian Seng
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

A Google Images search on extruder screw design gives lots of good hits. Here is one:

View attachment 278388

Thanks a lot ! But I have a doubt... wondering how actually this kind of screw is made by those manufacturers and what kind of machines they using.

How are regular steel screws made? I suppose since the threads on the extruders are farther apart with flat surfaces between them (the shaft body), you would use a milling tool that moves along removing material down the length of the shaft. Have you tried using Google or Google Images with good search terms to find examples of various screw manufacturing processes? Google-fu is an important skill to develop... :smile:

Likes Tung Jian Seng
berkeman said:
How are regular steel screws made? I suppose since the threads on the extruders are farther apart with flat surfaces between them (the shaft body), you would use a milling tool that moves along removing material down the length of the shaft. Have you tried using Google or Google Images with good search terms to find examples of various screw manufacturing processes? Google-fu is an important skill to develop... :smile:
Yesss I have searched on the Google. But I can only find those big plastic extruder screw manufacturing process. So I am curious about how are small sizes extruder screws for 3D printer are made by those manufacturers :)

Tung Jian Seng said:
Currently I am working on an assignment about making an extruder screw for screw based 3D printer. I am confused that actually what kind of machines those manufactures out there using to manufacture this kind of extruder screws ?
Welcome, Tung!
Do you have to make the screws or also to design them?
Can’t you find spare parts if for existing printer?

Tung Jian Seng said:
So I am curious about how are small sizes extruder screws for 3D printer are made
Can't you just machine them?

An extruder screw usually has three separate sections, each with a different OD, ID, pitch and profile. That makes it difficult for the average workshop.
I would use an axial NC grinder.
A modified 4-axis engraver could do the job if the head was replaced with a 90° degree head and a cutting disk.
What are the dimensions and details of the screw you require?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, Tung!
Do you have to make the screws or also to design them?
Can’t you find spare parts if for existing printer?
Hi, Lnewqban !
I need to design a modular machine tool that can be added on a lathe machine and make extruder screws for 3D printer.

Likes Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
An extruder screw usually has three separate sections, each with a different OD, ID, pitch and profile. That makes it difficult for the average workshop.
I would use an axial NC grinder.
A modified 4-axis engraver could do the job if the head was replaced with a 90° degree head and a cutting disk.
What are the dimensions and details of the screw you require?
I need to design a machine tool that can be added on a lathe where it can be used on making extruder screws for 3D printer. I am planning to use an angle grinder. But before that I need to survey how those manufacturers actually making this screw. The survey is for benchmarking purpose.

Attachments

• screwdimension.JPG
    screwdimension.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 144
anorlunda said:
Can't you just machine them?
It is a project I need to design a machine tool that can be added on a lathe where it can be used on making extruder screw for 3D printer. But before that I need to do benchmarking. So I want to know what kind of machines that manufacturers out there actually using on making this kind of extruder screws.

Tung Jian Seng said:
I am planning to use an angle grinder.
Your screw is simple with only one ground flute. A tool post grinder will do that job. You might use an angle grinder as a crude tool post grinder.

You will need to modify the lathe. The lead screw on a lathe is probably finer than the screw you are grinding. Because the pitch of the extruder screw is longer, you will need to drive the lathe lead-screw very slowly with a motor and reduction gearbox. The chuck holding the extruder screw is then driven from the lead screw through a reduction ratio that sets the pitch of the thread you are grinding.

Likes Tung Jian Seng
Last edited:
Likes Tung Jian Seng
Tung Jian Seng said:
It is a project I need to design a machine tool that can be added on a lathe where it can be used on making extruder screw for 3D printer. But before that I need to do benchmarking. So I want to know what kind of machines that manufacturers out there actually using on making this kind of extruder screws.
BTW, is this project for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
BTW, is this project for schoolwork?
Yupp it is a schoolwork.

Okay, thanks. I'll move the thread to the schoolwork forums for you now.

Likes Tung Jian Seng
berkeman said:
Okay, thanks. I'll move the thread to the schoolwork forums for you now.
Thank you very much !

Likes berkeman

1. What is a 3D printing extruder screw?

A 3D printing extruder screw is a specialized component used in 3D printers to push and melt the filament material, such as plastic, and then extrude it through a nozzle to create a 3D object layer by layer.

2. How does a 3D printing extruder screw work?

The extruder screw is powered by a motor and rotates to push the filament material towards the heated nozzle. As the filament passes through the heated zone, it melts and is then forced through the nozzle to create the desired shape.

3. What materials can be used with a 3D printing extruder screw?

A 3D printing extruder screw can work with a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, wood, and even food materials like chocolate. However, the type of material used may vary depending on the specific extruder screw and 3D printer model.

4. How important is the design of a 3D printing extruder screw?

The design of a 3D printing extruder screw is crucial as it determines the quality and accuracy of the final 3D print. A well-designed extruder screw can ensure smooth and consistent extrusion, while a poorly designed one can result in clogging, uneven extrusion, and other printing issues.

5. Can a 3D printing extruder screw be replaced or upgraded?

Yes, a 3D printing extruder screw can be replaced or upgraded if needed. Some 3D printers allow for easy replacement of the extruder screw, while others may require more technical knowledge. Upgrading to a higher quality or specialized extruder screw can improve the overall performance of a 3D printer.