What is the integral of this Gaussian distribution?

In summary, the integral of the Gaussian distribution is the area under the curve of the probability density function, which represents the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a certain value. This integral is equal to 1, as the total probability of all possible outcomes must equal 1. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to calculate the probabilities of events and to perform various statistical analyses. The integral can be solved analytically or numerically using various methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.
Boltzman Oscillation

Homework Statement

Find A in

p(x) = Aexp(-λ(x-a)^2)
by using the equation 1 = ∫ p(x)dx

Homework Equations

1 = ∫p(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I expand the power of the exponential and then extract the constant exponential to get:

Aexp(λa^2) ∫exp(-λx^2)exp(2aλx)dx

I don't know how to proceed now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd just let [itex] \alpha = x - a [/itex] and integrate it out. [itex] A[/itex] is the normalization constant. it is a pretty simple analytic integral.

Dr Transport said:
it is a pretty simple analytic integral.
Pretty simple if you know the trick! But the trick is not obvious if you’ve never seen it before.

@Boltzman Oscillation
I would not expand the exponent like you did, I would instead make the substitution that Dr Transport suggested.

The trick behind solving the integral (the only way I know) is to multiply the integral with itself but with another dummy variable, then combine and convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the plane, then take the square root at the end.

I think it’s unclear in words so I’ll show the first few steps without the constants:
$$[\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]^2 = [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]⋅ [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-y^2}dy] = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2}dxdy = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy$$

Likes WWGD
Boltzman Oscillation said:

Homework Statement

Find A in

p(x) = Aexp(-λ(x-a)^2)
by using the equation 1 = ∫ p(x)dx

Homework Equations

1 = ∫p(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I expand the power of the exponential and then extract the constant exponential to get:

Aexp(λa^2) ∫exp(-λx^2)exp(2aλx)dx

I don't know how to proceed now.

Is this supposed to be an integral from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty?## If so, just put ##u = \sqrt{\lambda}(x-a),## to get a standard integral which is easily accessed on-line, or even in good old-fashioned books.

Note added in edit: I see that Hiero beat me to it in post #3, but that post did not appear on my screen until after I had pressed the enter key for my contribution.

Last edited:
Hiero said:
Pretty simple if you know the trick! But the trick is not obvious if you’ve never seen it before.

@Boltzman Oscillation
I would not expand the exponent like you did, I would instead make the substitution that Dr Transport suggested.

The trick behind solving the integral (the only way I know) is to multiply the integral with itself but with another dummy variable, then combine and convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the plane, then take the square root at the end.

I think it’s unclear in words so I’ll show the first few steps without the constants:
$$[\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]^2 = [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]⋅ [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-y^2}dy] = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2}dxdy = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy$$
Interesting ill use both yours and the previous method. Whats the name of the method you ised?

Hiero said:

@Boltzman Oscillation

Alright so when i substitute polar coordnates for my eauation i have to find the integral of:

(-A/sqrt(λ))∫∫exp(r^2)dφdr
I can integrate dφ easily but how do i integrate dr?

Alright so when i substitute polar coordnates for my eauation i have to find the integral of:

(-A/sqrt(λ))∫∫exp(r^2)dφdr
I can integrate dφ easily but how do i integrate dr?

The polar-coordinate area element is ##dA = r dr d\phi,## NOT the ##dr d\phi## that you wrote. That is actually the whole point of the "trick".

Likes Hiero
Interesting ill use both yours and the previous method. Whats the name of the method you ised?
I don’t think it has a name. In fact I’ve never seen it used for anything but this exact problem!

I will always remember it though because of how clever it is, it left a strong impression when I first saw it.

According to https://www.york.ac.uk/depts/maths/histstat/normal_history.pdf, this trick was discovered by Poisson. The integral had already been evaluated by several more complicated methods, so it was known to take the form of a square root. I would guess that gave M. Poisson the idea to consider squaring the integral.

1. What is the integral of a Gaussian distribution?

The integral of a Gaussian distribution is equal to 1, as the total area under the curve of a probability density function must always equal 1.

2. Why is the integral of a Gaussian distribution important?

The integral of a Gaussian distribution is important because it allows us to calculate probabilities and make predictions about the data that follows a Gaussian distribution. It also helps in statistical analyses and modeling in various fields of science and engineering.

3. How do you calculate the integral of a Gaussian distribution?

The integral of a Gaussian distribution can be calculated using the formula: ∫(e^(-x^2/2)) dx = √(2π). This can be solved using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. Can the integral of a Gaussian distribution be negative?

No, the integral of a Gaussian distribution cannot be negative. The Gaussian distribution is always a symmetrical curve centered around the mean, and the area under the curve must always be positive. In fact, the integral of a Gaussian distribution is always a positive value of 1.

5. What is the relationship between the integral of a Gaussian distribution and its standard deviation?

The standard deviation of a Gaussian distribution is directly related to its integral. The wider the curve (higher standard deviation), the smaller the integral value, and vice versa. This is because the integral represents the total area under the curve, and the standard deviation affects the spread of the curve.