What is the Limit of Summation Notation for a Given Interval?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the solution to a problem involving a Riemann sum approximation to an integral. The correct answer cannot be determined without further information.
Biosyn

Homework Statement

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.php?server=100&filename=img20120327195119.jpg&res=medium

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged in ∞ for n

[2+[itex]\frac{3}{∞}[/itex]]2 ([itex]\frac{3}{∞}[/itex]) =

[2+0]2 (0) = 0Did I do the problem correctly? I might need a refresher on summation notations.

Here are the multiple choice answers:

a. 0
b. 1
c. 4
d. 39
e. 125

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right to me.

It's not right at all. You can't plug n=infinity into that. It looks like a Riemann sum approximation to an integral to me. None of the multiple choice answers that you've shown are correct either.

Dick said:
It's not right at all. You can't plug n=infinity into that. It looks like a Riemann sum approximation to an integral to me. None of the multiple choice answers that you've shown are correct either.

I couldn't fit all of the choices into the frame.

The choices:

a. 0
b. 1
c. 4
d. 39
e. 125

Biosyn said:
I couldn't fit all of the choices into the frame.

The choices:

a. 0
b. 1
c. 4
d. 39
e. 125

I'm not going to pick an answer for you. Show me how to get it. Put x=k/n and express that as a limiting sum for a Riemann integral over x.

Okay , I think I did it.

(3/n) = ΔX
ΔX = (b-a)/n

so, b=3 ; a=0

xi = a + [i(b-a)]/n

xi = [0 + (3k)/n + 2]2

f(xi) = (x+2)2

The integral would be [itex]^{3}_{0}[/itex]∫(x+2)2

Biosyn said:
Okay , I think I did it.

(3/n) = ΔX
ΔX = (b-a)/n

so, b=3 ; a=0

xi = a + [i(b-a)]/n

xi = [0 + (3k)/n + 2]2

f(xi) = (x+2)2

One of the listed answers is correct.

RGV

Biosyn said:
Okay , I think I did it.

(3/n) = ΔX
ΔX = (b-a)/n

so, b=3 ; a=0

xi = a + [i(b-a)]/n

xi = [0 + (3k)/n + 2]2

f(xi) = (x+2)2

Right.

What is the limit of summation notation?

The limit of summation notation is a mathematical concept used to express the sum of a sequence of terms. It represents the end point or upper bound of the sum.

How is the limit of summation notation written?

The limit of summation notation is typically written as Σ or ∑ followed by the starting index below the symbol and the ending index above the symbol. For example, Σn=15 n would represent the sum of the terms n=1 to n=5.

What is the purpose of using limit of summation notation?

The purpose of using limit of summation notation is to concisely represent a sum that would otherwise be lengthy and cumbersome to write out. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of sums in mathematical equations.

What is the difference between an open and closed limit of summation notation?

An open limit of summation notation has parentheses around the upper bound, indicating that the value is not included in the sum. A closed limit of summation notation has square brackets around the upper bound, indicating that the value is included in the sum. For example, Σn=15 n would be an open limit while Σn=15 n^2 would be a closed limit.

Can limit of summation notation be used for other mathematical operations besides addition?

Yes, limit of summation notation can be used for other mathematical operations such as subtraction, multiplication, and division. The symbol Σ can be replaced with other mathematical symbols such as − for subtraction, × for multiplication, and ÷ for division.