What is the liquid used to break stone slabs?

In summary, the conversation discusses a man in a village who is able to break a stone slab into small pieces using a gas cylinder fire and a liquid. The person asking the question is curious about what this liquid could be, but the man refuses to reveal its name. Some suggestions are given, such as water or other chemical solutions, but it is ultimately concluded that water is the most likely candidate due to its cooling properties and the physical process involved in breaking the stone.
venkat badugu
Hi guys,

I have seen in my village that there is one guy who is heating up the stone slab for few mins with gas cylinder fire and after few mins. he pouring some liquid on that heated part. Immediately that part becomes break small pieces. He removes them and again heating up and pouring that liquid. Like this, he total breaks that stone slap and makes big hole. As a chemist student, i wanted to know what is that liquid. when i asked him, he simply smiles and not revealing me. I felt very bad that though i studied person, i could n't find out the liquid name as that person know. I think its available every where. i thought that its spirit, but its not when i checked its smell. he carrying in plastic bottle and it looks like water. but its not water.

so what could be the liquid. any guesses here guys. Just out of interest, i am posting it here. Thanks to all.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How do you know it is not just water?

Likes HAYAO and russ_watters
Borek said:
How do you know it is not just water?

I have checked. I don't think stone slab split into pieces if we pour water into it. water reduces heat, where as here liquid giving more heat to stone.

Likes HAYAO and Asymptotic
From your description this has to be a physical process. The breaks are inside the material, but the liquid touches only the surface.
Since the flame is heating the material, it seems reasonable to think the liquid does the opposite and cools it. Water would seem a good candidate.

The mechanism would be stress caused by parts of the stone being at different temperatures and different strain. Heating with the torch may be relatively slow, so that the temperature gradient is not great enough. Sudden cooling could increase the strain gradient.

Heating alone is enogh to fracture some stone.

Borek said:

I know that glass will break with water when its in high temperature. How about for raw stones and stone slabs. will it be happens the same.

venkat badugu said:
How about for raw stones and stone slabs. will it be happens the same.

See what Merlin wrote above, same mechanism at work.

I doubt that it is any chemical solution because that would make a dangerous amount of vapor. Although there probably is certain chemicals that might work for something like that, what he is using is most likely water

Jake Osborne said:
I doubt that it is any chemical solution because that would make a dangerous amount of vapor. Although there probably is certain chemicals that might work for something like that, what he is using is most likely water
what he said (very small).jpg

Attachments

• what he said (very small).jpg
    what he said (very small).jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 644

1. How does liquid break stone stabs?

Liquid can break stone stabs through a process called erosion. When the liquid comes into contact with the stone, it can slowly dissolve and wear away the surface, causing it to break apart.

2. What type of liquid is best for breaking stone stabs?

There is no specific type of liquid that is best for breaking stone stabs. However, acidic liquids such as vinegar or lemon juice are commonly used as they have a stronger erosive effect on stone.

3. Can any type of stone be broken with liquid?

No, not all types of stone can be broken with liquid. Some stones, such as granite or quartz, are much harder and more resistant to erosion. It is also important to consider the concentration and type of liquid being used.

4. How long does it take for liquid to break stone stabs?

The time it takes for liquid to break stone stabs can vary depending on factors such as the type of stone, concentration of the liquid, and amount of time the liquid is in contact with the stone. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days.

5. Is it safe to use liquid to break stone stabs?

Using liquid to break stone stabs can be dangerous and should only be done by professionals. The process can create hazardous fumes and the liquid can cause skin and eye irritation. It is important to follow safety precautions and wear protective gear when using liquid for this purpose.