Why does heat make objects break?

In summary, thermal stress caused by rapid temperature changes can lead to cracks and fractures in objects. This is due to different parts of the object expanding at different rates, causing stress that may overcome the object's strength and result in a break. This can be referred to as thermal shock.
albert.mck

Homework Statement

I need to proove that temperature changes make objects break. I used a stone, and heated it for about 10 minutes. After that I put it in cold water. According to my teacher that should've broken the stone, but it didn't. I had to give it a few hits, not too many or too strong, with a hammer until it broke in half. Why does this happen? I know it's because it expands and then contracts too fast, but I don't know what physical terms I need to use or a physical explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albert.mck said:

Homework Statement

I need to proove that temperature changes make objects break. I used a stone, and heated it for about 10 minutes. After that I put it in cold water. According to my teacher that should've broken the stone, but it didn't. I had to give it a few hits, not too many or too strong, with a hammer until it broke in half. Why does this happen? I know it's because it expands and then contracts too fast, but I don't know what physical terms I need to use or a physical explanation.

Welcome to the PF.

What research and reading have you done on this so far? I would start with a Google search using terms like Thermal Stress Fracture Crack Brake, and so on. Let us know what you find... :smile:

Likes albert.mck
I found that it happens when a thermal gradient causes different parts of the object to expand by different amounts. And that the stress of the expansion may overcome the strength of the object, causing a crack to form.
But I still don't get why it causes it to break. Or what is the "stress of the expansion"

Related to Why does heat make objects break?

1. Why do objects expand when heated?

When an object is heated, the molecules within it gain energy and vibrate more rapidly. This causes the molecules to take up more space and push against each other, resulting in the expansion of the object.

2. Can heat cause objects to break?

Yes, heat can cause objects to break. When an object is heated, it expands and becomes weaker. If the expansion is too great, the object may not be able to withstand the stress and will break.

3. What is thermal stress and how does it lead to breakage?

Thermal stress is the stress that is created when an object is exposed to uneven heating. When one part of the object expands more than another, it creates tension and can cause the object to break.

4. Can heat make all objects break or are some objects more susceptible than others?

All objects can potentially break when exposed to enough heat, but some materials are more susceptible than others. For example, materials with low melting points or high coefficients of thermal expansion are more likely to break when heated.

5. How can we prevent objects from breaking due to heat?

To prevent objects from breaking due to heat, we can choose materials that are more resistant to thermal stress. We can also design objects with features that allow for expansion and contraction, such as joints or gaps. Additionally, controlling the rate of heating can help minimize thermal stress and prevent breakage.