What is the Magnitude of Acceleration in a Frictionless Equation?

In summary, a 30.3kg girl and a 56.0kg boy are on a frozen lake, 15.0m apart. The girl exerts a horizontal 4.50N force on the boy using a rope. The equation to use is F=ma, and after finding and correcting a mistake, the girl's acceleration can be calculated.
shimizua

Homework Statement

A 30.3kg girl and a 56.0kg boy are on the surface of a frozen lake, 15.0m apart. Using a rope, the girl exerts a horizontal 4.50N force on the boy, pulling him toward her. Calculate the magnitude of the girl's acceleration.

so for this problem i am just confused about the equation to use. i know that it will use a frictionless equation but that is about all that i am sure of.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, and i had tried F=ma but that was wrong

OK. So, you tried F=ma. That is the equation you should use. I'll need to see your work to help you find your mistake.

i figured it out, i was using the guys m and that was the problem

OK cool! Good job.

What is the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes. It is a scalar quantity that is expressed in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is the magnitude of acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. It can also be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of acceleration in each direction.

What is the difference between magnitude of acceleration and acceleration?

The term "acceleration" can refer to both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity. The magnitude of acceleration specifically refers to the size or amount of the change in velocity, regardless of the direction.

How does magnitude of acceleration relate to Newton's second law of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the magnitude of acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

How does the magnitude of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of acceleration determines how quickly an object's velocity changes, which in turn affects its motion. A larger magnitude of acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity and therefore a more significant impact on the object's motion. This can range from a slight change in direction to a complete change in speed and direction.