What is the missing function in this trigonometric proof?

In summary, Matthew was trying to solve a homework problem where the trigonometric function cot5x * [unknown function]5x)/csc6x = 5/6. He was having trouble remembering the second function and found that when he plugged in all of the trig functions, the equation became undefined at x = n\pi. However, he was able to find a limit when x tends to zero, which is when the expression becomes equivalent to cos(5x) * sin(6x) / sin(5x). He was also able to find that the last expression is equivalent to cos^2(5x) * sin(6x).
matthewd49

Homework Statement

basically i have this proof to do where (cot5x * [trigonometric function]5x)/csc6x = 5/6 and i have to prove it equals 5/6

Homework Equations

but what i can't remember about the problem is the second function. I've tried plugging in all of them and using a made up value of x = 10 just to see if i could figure out what the function i can't remember it is but i haven't had any luck.

cos(0) = 1
sin(x)/x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

the closest I've come to what may be the missing function is when i plug in sin5x but i get a number that is approximately .85 and not .833.

well if i could figure out the function i know to set it up like this ((cos5x/tan5x) * [unknown function]5x)/(1/sin6x)

Physics news on Phys.org
are you evaulating a limit as x tends to zero?

in general, for arbitrary [itex] x \neq 2 n\pi[/itex]
[tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x}\neq 1[/tex]

And in fact when [itex] x =n\pi[/itex] the function is undefined, but the limit exists, for example
[tex] \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/tex]

matthewd49 said:

Homework Statement

basically i have this proof to do where (cot5x * [trigonometric function]5x)/csc6x = 5/6 and i have to prove it equals 5/6

the closest I've come to what may be the missing function is when i plug in sin5x but i get a number that is approximately .85 and not .833.

well if i could figure out the function i know to set it up like this ((cos5x/tan5x) * [unknown function]5x)/(1/sin6x)
Hello matthewd49. Welcome to PF !

How sure are you that the expression was of the form [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\cot(5x)\text{trig}(5x)}{\csc(6x)}\,,[/itex] where trig(θ) is one of the trig functions?

This expression is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\cos(5x)\text{trig}(5x)\sin(6x)}{\sin(5x)}\,,[/itex] also [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\text{trig}(5x)\sin(6x)}{\tan(5x)}\,.[/itex]

You also have [itex]\frac{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(5x)}{ \tan(5x)}\text{trig}(5x)}{\displaystyle\frac{1}{ \sin(6x)}}\,,[/itex] which is not equivalent to the above expression.

Your last expression is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\cos^2(5x)\text{trig}(5x)\sin(6x)}{\sin(5x)}\,.[/itex]

BTW: [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\,\to\,0}\frac{\sin(6x)}{\sin(5x)}=\frac{6}{5}\,.[/itex] This leads me to believe that your mystery function is [itex]\sec(5x)\,.[/itex]

hi guys thanks for all your help. i found out the missing function was actually sec5x and then found out afterwards that they had presented the problem wrong and wanted me to prove that said function was = to 6/5, not 5/6. that made it a much easier problem which i quickly finished. thanks for all of your help though, you guys are awesome!

Related to What is the missing function in this trigonometric proof?

1. What is a trigonometric proof?

A trigonometric proof is a mathematical method used to show the relationship between different trigonometric functions and angles. It involves using known identities and properties of trigonometric functions to prove a given statement or equation.

2. How do I start a trigonometric proof?

The first step in starting a trigonometric proof is to identify the given statement or equation that you need to prove. Then, you can use known identities and properties of trigonometric functions to manipulate the equations and eventually arrive at the desired proof.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in proofs?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proofs include the Pythagorean identities, the sum and difference identities, the double angle identities, and the half angle identities.

4. Can I use a calculator for trigonometric proofs?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your work, it is not recommended to use a calculator for trigonometric proofs. These proofs should be done by hand using known identities and properties to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the concepts.

5. How can I improve my skills in trigonometric proofs?

The best way to improve your skills in trigonometric proofs is to practice regularly. Start with simple proofs and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to review and memorize common trigonometric identities and properties.