Rolls Theorem (trig functions)

In summary, the conversation was about finding the point c on the interval [π/5, 2π/5] where f'(x) = 0 for the function f(x) = sin5x. The equation for f'(x) was given as 5cos5x = 0, and the person was having trouble understanding how to solve for x. They were given incorrect information about finding the inverse of the cosine function and were confused about how to find the value of x when cos5x = 0. The expert clarified that finding θ such that cos θ = 0 is equivalent to finding the angles where the cosine function is equal to 0, which can be determined using the unit circle. The
Jonathan_Kyle

Homework Statement

f(x) = sin5x ; [π/5,2π/5] finding the point c which f'(x) =0. I understand the theorem and how to complete it, my issue is using the triq functions

Homework Equations

f'(x) = 5cos5x

The Attempt at a Solution

5cos5x=0
cos5x=0
5x=π/3
x=π/15
my answer is not correct, I am using mathlab and I cannot see how they came to their answer

Edit: Mathlab answer is 3π/10

Physics news on Phys.org
cos5x=0
5x=π/2 or 3π/2
x=π/10 or 3π/10
x=π/10 is not in domain so answer is 3π/10

Thank you for the reply, I am obviously doing something wrong between;
cos5x=0
and
5x= π/2 or 3π/2 ( i understand where you get 3π/2, just another revolution from π/2)
what i don't understand is how you got π/2, I was under the impression that you take the inverse of cosine from each side of the equation to isolate x on the left hand side. Furthermore, I was told that finding the inverse of the cosine function is π/3, because that gives you 1/2. I think I was just given some back information on how to solve that portion of the problem.

Jonathan_Kyle said:
Thank you for the reply, I am obviously doing something wrong between;
cos5x=0
and
5x= π/2 or 3π/2 ( i understand where you get 3π/2, just another revolution from π/2)
Not quite. Remember, 1 revolution = 2π radians, so it's a half revolution.

what i don't understand is how you got π/2, I was under the impression that you take the inverse of cosine from each side of the equation to isolate x on the left hand side. Furthermore, I was told that finding the inverse of the cosine function is π/3, because that gives you 1/2. I think I was just given some back information on how to solve that portion of the problem.

If you were trying to find θ such that cos θ = 0, what would be the value of θ in this case? For what angles is the cosine zero?

You can use the unit circle to figure this out, and you should have memorized where sin θ = 0, cos θ = 0, tan θ = 1, etc.

1. What is Rolls Theorem?

Rolls Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the properties of a differentiable function to its derivative. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on an open interval, and the function's values at the endpoints of the interval are equal, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. How is Rolls Theorem used in trigonometry?

In trigonometry, Rolls Theorem can be used to prove the existence of a vertical tangent line at a specific point on a graph of a trigonometric function. It can also be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a trigonometric function on a given interval.

3. What are the conditions for Rolls Theorem to be applicable?

The function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on an open interval. The values of the function at the endpoints of the interval must be equal. Additionally, the derivative of the function must exist at every point within the interval.

4. What is the significance of Rolls Theorem?

Rolls Theorem is significant because it provides a way to prove the existence of critical points on a graph of a function. These critical points can give important information about the behavior of the function, such as the location of maximum and minimum values.

5. Are there any limitations to Rolls Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to Rolls Theorem. It only guarantees the existence of at least one critical point within the interval, but it does not provide any information about the number or location of other critical points. Additionally, it only applies to continuous and differentiable functions, so it cannot be used for functions that are not differentiable or have discontinuities within the interval.