What is the Order of Integration in a Double Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for finding the center of mass of a semicircular disk using polar coordinates. The formula on the cover of the book is correct, but the limits of integration are not clearly defined. The correct formula is ##y_{cm}=\frac{1}{m}\int y~dm## with the area element ##dm## at ##y=r\sin\theta## and ##dm=\rho~dA=\rho(dr)(rd\theta)##. The order of integration does not matter in a double integral, but the order of the differentials is important in determining the boundaries of integration. The conversation also discusses different approaches to solving the integral and suggests flipping the order of the differentials for more clarity
Chenkel
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to understand a strange integral in Chris McMullen's book "Essential Calculus-based PHYSICS"
Hello everyone!

I've been reading Mr. McMullen's book and took some curiosity in an equation on the cover art, it is as follows:$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^\pi (r\sin \theta)rdrd\theta$$I'm trying to understand what it means, firstly the limits of integration for the inner integral are theta, and we're integrating with respect to r; then on the outer integral, the limits of integration are r, and the variable we're integrating with respect to is theta. I'm used to the variable for the limits of integration matching the variable we're integrating with respect to, does this equation make sense to anyone? Let me know what you think, thank you!

• Love
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the integral for finding the center of mass of a semicircular disk of uniform surface mass density ##\rho## using polar coordinates. The definition is ##y_{cm}=\frac{1}{m}\int y~dm.## An area element ##dm## is at ##y=r\sin\theta## and ##dm=\rho~dA=\rho(dr)(rd\theta)##. When all this is brought together into a double integral, the limits of integration are over a semicircle of radius ##R##.

Look in the book. This might be an example in the center of mass section.

Likes Delta2, Lnewqban and Chenkel
kuruman said:
It is the integral for finding the center of mass of a semicircular disk of uniform surface mass density ##\rho## using polar coordinates. The definition is ##y_{cm}=\frac{1}{m}\int y~dm.## An area element ##dm## is at ##y=r\sin\theta## and ##dm=\rho~dA=\rho(dr)(rd\theta)##. When all this is brought together into a double integral, the limits of integration are over a semicircle of radius ##R##.

Look in the book. This might be an example in the center of mass section.

I worked out the problem mechanically by hand, however I find I'm still coming to terms with the theory behind the double integral. I found it wasn't possible to come to an answer when the variable in the limits of integration is not the same as the variable we're integrating with respect to, so the equation on the cover art is incorrect if I'm not mistaken. This is my work:$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \int_{r=0}^R r^2\sin \theta drd\theta$$$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \frac {r^3} 3 \sin \theta |_{r=0}^Rd\theta$$$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m (- \frac {R^3} 3 \cos \theta) |_{\theta=0}^\pi$$$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \frac {2R^3} 3$$

Likes Delta2 and vanhees71
Chenkel said:
I worked out the problem mechanically by hand, however I find I'm still coming to terms with the theory behind the double integral. I found it wasn't possible to come to an answer when the variable in the limits of integration is not the same as the variable we're integrating with respect to, so the equation on the cover art is incorrect if I'm not mistaken. This is my work:$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \int_{r=0}^R r^2\sin \theta drd\theta$$$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \frac {r^3} 3 \sin \theta |_{r=0}^Rd\theta$$$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m (- \frac {R^3} 3 \cos \theta) |_{\theta=0}^\pi$$$$y_{cm} = \frac \rho m \frac {2R^3} 3$$
The formula on the cover is correct and you calculated the relevant integral correctly, just replace $$\rho=\frac{m}{\frac{\pi R^2}{2}}$$ and you get the correct result.

Likes Lnewqban, vanhees71 and kuruman
Delta2 said:
The formula on the cover is correct and you calculated the relevant integral correctly, just replace $$\rho=\frac{m}{\frac{\pi R^2}{2}}$$ and you get the correct result.
That make sense to me. The only part that I might be a little semantic about is if the equation on the cover art is correct, for example, I believe the integral I used is not directly the same as the one on the cover art:

$$\frac \rho m \int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^\pi (r\sin \theta)rdrd\theta \neq \frac \rho m \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \int_{r=0}^R r^2\sin \theta drd\theta$$

Notice that one of the integrals has badly defined limits of integration.

Delta2 said:

I discovered we can also do the approach of distributing dr, so the equation on cover art may be correct:$$\int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^\pi (r\sin\theta)rdrd\theta=\int_{r=0}^R(-\cos{\theta}r^2dr)|_{\theta=0}^\pi=\int_{r=0}^R(r^2dr + r^2dr)=\int_{r=0}^R2r^2dr$$
Is this a valid approach?

Last edited:
Just a heads up: I think typically you want to flip flop the order of the differentials to work from the inside out.

Likes Chenkel
@Chenkel The order of integration doesn't matter in a double integral as there is Fubini's theorem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubini's_theorem
But yes the order of integration (more specifically, the order at which the differentials are written) matters regarding the way the boundary of integration are written. Yes you are right that the first integral has boundaries of integration 0 to ##\pi## for ##r##, and from ##0## to ##R## for ##\theta## which simply isn't correct.

Likes Lnewqban and Chenkel

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

Why is calculating the center of mass important?

Calculating the center of mass is important in physics and engineering as it helps determine the stability and balance of an object or system. It is also used in designing structures and vehicles to ensure they are properly balanced.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual masses in an object or system. This can be done using the formula:
xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
where xcm is the x-coordinate of the center of mass, m is the mass, and x is the position along the x-axis.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

No, the center of mass will always be located within the boundaries of an object. However, it is possible for the center of mass to be located outside of the physical shape of the object if it has an irregular or asymmetrical shape.

How does the center of mass affect an object's motion?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in an object's motion. If an object's center of mass is not aligned with its base of support, it will be unstable and may topple over. Additionally, the center of mass determines how an object will rotate when a force is applied to it.