What is the potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential field of an ion, specifically at large distances and at scales comparable to the ion's Bohr radius. It is mentioned that at large distances, the potential field is just the Coulomb potential for its net charge, but at smaller scales, there could be a screening effect from the electron shell that changes the potential. The possibility of using quantum chemistry software to approximate this potential is also mentioned, along with the importance of including electron-electron interactions. The limitations of using multipole expansion at short distances are also discussed.
Ganesh Ujwal
I figure that at large enough distances, the potential field of an ion is just the Coulomb potential for its net charge. But what happens at scales comparable to the ion's Bohr radius? Could there be, for example, some sort of screening effect from the electron shell that changes the potential? (depending on what the test charge is, like if you dropped a single electron near an ion)

I'm a bit rusty on quantum mechanics, but I do remember that the math for atoms that aren't hydrogen gets complicated. Is there a known good way to approximate this potential? Or is my best bet to go download some quantum chemistry software?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ganesh Ujwal said:
I figure that at large enough distances, the potential field of an ion is just the Coulomb potential for its net charge. But what happens at scales comparable to the ion's Bohr radius? Could there be, for example, some sort of screening effect from the electron shell that changes the potential? (depending on what the test charge is, like if you dropped a single electron near an ion)

I'm a bit rusty on quantum mechanics, but I do remember that the math for atoms that aren't hydrogen gets complicated. Is there a known good way to approximate this potential? Or is my best bet to go download some quantum chemistry software?
Not only is there a screening effect, but you have to include electron-electron interactions also. For simple calculations, you use the Central Field Approximation, but to get anything reliable, I guess that numerical calculations are the way to go.

Shyan said:
Study about multipole expansion of electric potential!
That won't work at the short distances the OP is considering.

What is the potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius?

The potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius refers to the electric field created by an ion at a specific distance from its nucleus, known as the Bohr radius. This field is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of other charged particles.

How is the potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius calculated?

The potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors can affect the potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius?

The potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius can be affected by the charge of the ion, the charge and distance of other nearby ions, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

Why is the potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius important in chemistry?

The potential field of an ion near the Bohr radius plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of ions in chemical reactions. It can influence the stability of molecules and the strength of ionic bonds.

What is the significance of the Bohr radius in the potential field of an ion?

The Bohr radius is the distance at which the potential field of an ion is most significant. At this distance, the attractive and repulsive forces between charged particles are in balance, making it a stable location for an electron in an atom.