What is the role of parity in quantum mechanics?

In summary, on the mark schemes it shows that x|ψ(x)^2| = -(-x|ψ(-x)^2) are asymmetric functions,so when I expand the integral they should vanish,however, I thought that normalization condition allows the integral to be definite i.e = 1.
ibysaiyan
Hi,

Homework Statement

A quantum harmonic oscillator is in a superposition of states(below):
[itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] = 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] ([itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t) + \Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex]

[itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi(x) * e^{-iwt/2} [/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi_{1}(x) * e^{-i3wt/2} [/itex]

Show that <x> = C cos(wt) ...

Homework Equations

Negative parity: f(-x) = -f(x)
Positive parity : f(x) = f(-x)

The Attempt at a Solution

On the mark schemes it shows that x|ψ(x)^2| = -(-x|ψ(-x)^2) are asymmetric functions,so when I expand the integral they should vanish,however, I thought that normalization condition allows the integral to be definite i.e = 1.I have a very basic understanding of parity, it would be great if someone could explain to me just what role it plays. P.S I have looked around for resources,and so far I have gathered that there are two distinct eigen-values when parity operator works(+-1).

Thanks.

Attachments

• 232.PNG
    232.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would you be able to show at least some work? Write out the terms in [itex]\left\langle\psi \left|x\right| \psi \right>[/itex].

if [itex]f(x) = - f(-x)[/itex], then what is
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) dx[/itex] ?

if [itex]f(x) = - f(-x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = g(-x)[/itex], what is
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)g(x) dx[/itex] ?

ibysaiyan said:

The Attempt at a Solution

On the mark schemes it shows that x|ψ(x)^2| = -(-x|ψ(-x)^2) are asymmetric functions,so when I expand the integral they should vanish,however, I thought that normalization condition allows the integral to be definite i.e = 1.
You're comparing two different integrals. The normalization condition is
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx = 1$$ while the integral from the expectation value is
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty x\lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx.$$ Why would you think the first integral precludes the second one from vanishing? They have different integrands.

vela said:
You're comparing two different integrals. The normalization condition is
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx = 1$$ while the integral from the expectation value is
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty x\lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx.$$ Why would you think the first integral precludes the second one from vanishing? They have different integrands.

MisterX said:
Would you be able to show at least some work? Write out the terms in [itex]\left\langle\psi \left|x\right| \psi \right>[/itex].

if [itex]f(x) = - f(-x)[/itex], then what is
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) dx[/itex] ?

if [itex]f(x) = - f(-x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = g(-x)[/itex], what is
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)g(x) dx[/itex] ?

I was in a rush hence my lack of input.

Here is what I get after expansion:

[itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] = 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] ([itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t) + \Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex]

[itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi(x) e^{-iwt/2} [/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi_{1}(x) e^{-i3wt/2} [/itex]

[itex]\left\langle\psi \left|x\right| \psi \right> = 1/\sqrt{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx [ x (\Phi_{0}\Phi_{1} + \Phi_{0}\Phi_{1}e^{-i\omega t} + \Phi_{1}\Phi_{0}e^{i\omega t} + \Phi_{1}\Phi_{1} [/itex]]

I understand that the integrand of a product of even-odd function is zero,but I still don't see why the two integrals above vanish,are they assumed to be asymmetric, is there any justification?

Actually... I think I get it now...
(below is what I think happens}

Is it because [itex] \Phi(x)[/itex] = [itex] -\Phi(-x)[/itex](odd) and f(x) = f(-x) (even)...
Integral of odd*even = integral of odd = zero .
Also for the other two integrals(with exponential) they are defined as "symmetric limited function", something I am not familiar with.

I appreciate the responses.

EDIT: I was just restating the properties of odd/even functions,don't know why I had integral put in(fixed),sorry.

Last edited:
What is that notation even supposed to mean?

Hi vela
I have fixed few typos so it should be clear now.

Last edited:
Hi
Good thinking but not so much & clear definition.

Related to What is the role of parity in quantum mechanics?

What is the parity of a wavefunction?

The parity of a wavefunction refers to its symmetry properties under reflection. It can either be even (symmetric) or odd (anti-symmetric) with respect to a specific axis.

How is the parity of a wavefunction determined?

The parity of a wavefunction is determined by examining its behavior under the transformation of spatial coordinates. If the wavefunction remains unchanged after being reflected across an axis, it is even. If it changes sign, it is odd.

What is the significance of the parity of a wavefunction?

The parity of a wavefunction is important in quantum mechanics as it affects the selection rules for transitions between energy levels. For example, in an atom, transitions between energy levels with the same parity are allowed, while those with different parity are forbidden.

Can a wavefunction have a mixed parity?

No, a wavefunction cannot have a mixed parity. It is either even or odd with respect to a specific axis.

How does the parity of a wavefunction relate to the probability density?

The parity of a wavefunction is related to the spatial distribution of the probability density. An even wavefunction has a symmetric probability density, while an odd wavefunction has an anti-symmetric probability density.