What is the significance of large logarithms in RG calculations?

• A
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary: However, the perturbative expansion can be rewritten in terms of a new couplingg_R(\mu) = g_{R0} + a g_R^2 \log\left( \frac{E}{\mu_0} \right)which is still small as \mu decreases, but does not diverge. So this is the form in which the RG solves the large logarithm problem.
Malamala
Hello! I am reading Schwarz book on QFT and I am at the renormalization group part. I understand the math and the fact that grouping terms perturbatively and requiring them to be 0, when taking the derivatives with respect to a given arbitrary chosen scale, allows perturbative corrections to the coupling constant as a function of momentum transfer. But I am not really sure I understand the large logarithms arguments. Why are they important? I don't really see them used in any of the proofs. You just take the derivative, set it to zero and you get what you want. Can someone explain to me what is the deal with large logarithms and why they seem to be so important in relation to the RG? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not completely clear on your question, so I'll just talk a bit about how I understand the "problem of large logarithms" and hope that it helps out.

In a renormalizable massless quantum field theory, the perturbative expansion for some observable takes the form
[tex]
\Gamma(E) = g + a g^2 \log\left( \frac{E}{\Lambda} \right)
[/tex]
where [itex]E[/itex] is the energy you are observing the observable at, [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a UV cutoff, and [itex]g[/itex] is the coupling. (And take [itex]a[/itex] to be some numerical constant.)

Now we renormalize. Let's define a renormalized coupling by the value of the above observable at some reference energy [itex]\mu[/itex]. That is,
[tex]
g_R \equiv \Gamma(\mu) = g + a g^2 \log\left( \frac{\mu}{\Lambda} \right)
[/tex]
Then at other energies, the observable takes the form
[tex]
\Gamma(E) = g_R + a g_R^2 \log\left( \frac{E}{\mu} \right)
[/tex]

Here's the issue. Let's say we look at some energy far smaller (or greater) than [itex]\mu[/itex]. Then the second term will eventually dominate over the first, invalidating perturbation theory. The problem is actually worse than it looks like, because if you do higher loops, you'll find higher powers of [itex]g_R \log\left( \frac{E}{\mu} \right)[/itex], and everything breaks down. But on the other hand, this is all kinda stupid because we could have chosen to renormalize the theory at the smaller (or larger) energy scale you're looking at and clearly there wouldn't be a problem. We could just have renormalized at a different scale and no issue would arise (provided the renormalized coupling remains small of course, which I'll comment on later).

So if we consider the scale [itex]\mu[/itex] to be something which can be varied depending on what scale we are interested in, we can solve the problem, since we could choose it to be near whatever energy scale we're looking at and the large logarithm problem will never occur. This leads pretty quickly into the renormalization group. How will the renormalized coupling [itex]g_R[/itex] change with changing [itex]\mu[/itex]? Well that can be parametrized by the beta function:
[tex]
\beta_g \equiv \mu\frac{d g_R}{d \mu} = a g_R^2
[/tex]
Let's assume [itex]a>0[/itex]. Then the renormalized coupling gets larger for larger energies, but as long as the energy scales are small it's still perturbative (which again says that the apparent divergence for small energies we saw in the logarithms above was not physical).

So how do we fix the issue with large logarithms? Let's just solve the differential equation, setting [itex]g_R(\mu_0) = g_{R0}[/itex], which realizes this "sliding scale" renormalized coupling. We get
[tex]
g_R(\mu) = \frac{g_{R0 }}{1 - g_{R0} \log(\mu/\mu_0)}
[/tex]
In this form, we can see that [itex]g_R(\mu)[/itex] remains small as [itex]\mu[/itex] decreases, logarithmically going to zero with no unphysical divergences, so there's no issue anymore. This is the sense in which RG has solved the large logarithm problem.

In contrast, the coupling increases with increasing energy, appearing to diverge at a finite energy [itex]\mu = \mu_0 e^{1/g_{R0}}[/itex]. There are worries about a theory with this structure not being sensible unless it is cutoff at such an energy scale (though this perturbative analysis is not enough to conclude this by itself).

What are large logarithms and RG?

Large logarithms refer to logarithmic functions with very large or very small input values. RG stands for renormalization group, which is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics and statistical mechanics to study the behavior of systems at different scales.

Why are large logarithms and RG important?

Large logarithms and RG are important because they help us understand and make predictions about complex systems, such as physical systems or economic systems. They also play a crucial role in the development of quantum field theory and the study of critical phenomena.

How are large logarithms and RG related?

Large logarithms and RG are related in that the renormalization group technique is often used to resum large logarithms in perturbative calculations. This helps to improve the accuracy of predictions and make them more reliable.

Can large logarithms and RG be applied to other fields besides physics?

Yes, large logarithms and RG have applications in other fields such as economics, finance, and biology. In economics, RG is used to study the behavior of financial markets and in biology, it is used to understand the behavior of complex biological systems.

Are there any limitations or challenges when using large logarithms and RG?

Yes, there are limitations and challenges when using large logarithms and RG. One limitation is that the calculations can become very complicated and time-consuming, especially when dealing with higher orders of perturbation theory. Additionally, the renormalization group technique may not be applicable to all systems, and it may be difficult to interpret the results in certain cases.