What is the Size of a Chlorophyll Molecule and Photosystem in Biology?

In summary, the size of a chlorophyll a molecule is approximately 1nm^2 when bound to specific proteins in the thylakoid. The size of photosystem I or photosystem II varies and can be estimated by downloading the crystal structures of the photosystems and measuring the length of the chlorophyll molecules using a program such as PyMol. However, due to the complexity of chlorophyll and its interactions with other molecules, there may not be a simple answer to the question of size.
#neutrino
can any biology expert tell me the size of a chlorophyll molecule and the size of a photosystem ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Can we refine your question a bit?
Since chlorophyll comes in different types - here is an article for non-scientists
http://www.majordifferences.com/2013/05/difference-between-chlorophyll-and.html#.VqZ9UZorIgt

I am guessing you want chlorophyll a.

Next: size is what? molar mass? nm in length(this changes under some circumstances)?

Phototosystem I or photosystem II or both?
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O6-photosystemsIandII.html

If you actually read those links you will know what to ask AND get the answers, too. A win-win. Plus learning how to ask well-defined questions helps a lot in Science.

Likes Suraj M
jim mcnamara said:
Can we refine your question a bit?
Since chlorophyll comes in different types - here is an article for non-scientists
http://www.majordifferences.com/2013/05/difference-between-chlorophyll-and.html#.VqZ9UZorIgt

I am guessing you want chlorophyll a.

Next: size is what? molar mass? nm in length(this changes under some circumstances)?

Phototosystem I or photosystem II or both?
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O6-photosystemsIandII.html

If you actually read those links you will know what to ask AND get the answers, too. A win-win. Plus learning how to ask well-defined questions helps a lot in Science.
i read the 2 articles however none of them contained the answer i was looking for by SIZE what i meant was the (length) size of a chlorphyll a molecule in nanometres and the length of both photosystems taken individually in nanometres

You might be able to estimate the length of the complex based on the typical bond lengths involved. Alternatively, you could download the crystal structures of the photosystems, then measure the length of the chlorophyll molecules using a program like PyMol.

Size and Power of a Chlorophyll a molecule
P Strebeyko
Photosynthetica. October 2000 , Volume 38, Issue 1, pp 159- 160

As bound in the proteins of the thylakoid by the phytol "tail", chlorophyll a has an area of 1nm^2.

What I wanted you to see is that chlorophyll (anything) is really complicated and there are almost no simple answers. So, sometimes there are no simple answers for what seem to be simple questions.

The value above seems a little offbeat to me becuse I think the "area" is a function of the orientation of the molecule wrt the angle of the measurement. But I do not know for sure. Chlorophyll a is active when bound to specific proteins and when there are physically nearby pigments, all in a specific spatial orientations. Getting something like the paper had would be really diffcult in situ. My opinion only.

Likes #neutrino
thanks

1. What is chlorophyll pigment size?

Chlorophyll pigment size refers to the physical size of the chlorophyll molecules that are responsible for capturing light energy during photosynthesis.

2. Why is chlorophyll pigment size important?

Chlorophyll pigment size is important because it directly affects the efficiency of photosynthesis. Smaller pigment sizes allow for more efficient light absorption, while larger sizes may result in a decrease in photosynthetic efficiency.

3. How does chlorophyll pigment size vary among different plant species?

Chlorophyll pigment size can vary among different plant species due to genetic differences and environmental factors. Some plants may have larger pigment sizes to adapt to low light conditions, while others may have smaller sizes to thrive in high light environments.

4. Can chlorophyll pigment size be manipulated to improve crop yield?

Yes, chlorophyll pigment size can be manipulated through genetic engineering or selective breeding to improve crop yield. This can be done by selecting for plants with smaller pigment sizes that are more efficient at light absorption.

5. How is chlorophyll pigment size related to plant color?

The size of the chlorophyll pigment molecules affects the wavelengths of light that are absorbed and reflected by a plant. Plants with smaller pigment sizes tend to appear more green, while those with larger sizes may appear more yellow or red. This is due to the different wavelengths of light that are absorbed by the pigment molecules.