What is the specific heat of the liquid?

In summary: T_2-T_1\right)}{2h} = \dfrac{m\left(T_2+T_1\right)}{2h}\dfrac{Ht \left( 1- \dfrac{h}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}} \right) -2H't}{2m(T_2 - T_1)} = \dfrac{m\left(T_2-T_1\right)}{2h}
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A point source s emits thermal heat energy H every second uniformly in all directions. A cylindrical container with radius R, which contains a liquid of mass m, is placed at a distance h above the source, look at the picture. After t seconds, the temperature of the liquid increases from T1 to T2. If the heat lost from the container in one second is H', determine the specific heat of the liquid. Neglect the heat capacity of the container.

http://www.luiseduardo.com.br/thermology/heat/heatproblems_arquivos/image029.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's assume a hypothetical spherical surface enclosing the point source S whose radius changes with time at a constant rate(similar to a wavefront in case of sound wave). Let the rate of change of radius be v. Then time taken when radius of the surface becomes h is equal to t_0=h/v and time when its radius becomes equal to √(R^2+h^2) is t'=√(R^2+h^2)/v. The liquid present in the container starts gaining heat as soon as radius becomes h. Simultaneously it loses heat at a rate H'. Let after a time t, the radius changes to R+dR in time dt, where t_0<t<t'.

Heat gained = Hdt
Heat lost = H'dt
Hdt-H'dt = (dm) s d(ΔT)

But from here, I'm lost. I don't have any idea how to proceed ahead? I'm also not sure what I'm doing here is correct or even makes sense. Forgive me for that. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat waves travel very fast in the surroundings of the container. We can assume air or vacuum, no information is provided in the formulation, so we don't have to worry. A certain fraction f of H goes into the liquid. The fraction is determined by the stereo angle (dependent on h and R).
If the formulation mentions only one temperature of the liquid, I am inclined to see this as a stirred tank: same T everywhere in the liquid. And your eqn simplifies quite a bit:

(fH - H') dt = m cp dT​

BvU said:
Heat waves travel very fast in the surroundings of the container. We can assume air or vacuum, no information is provided in the formulation, so we don't have to worry. A certain fraction f of H goes into the liquid. The fraction is determined by the stereo angle (dependent on h and R).
If the formulation mentions only one temperature of the liquid, I am inclined to see this as a stirred tank: same T everywhere in the liquid. And your eqn simplifies quite a bit:

(fH - H') dt = m cp dT​

Stereo Angle?? What's that?

utkarshakash said:
Stereo Angle?? What's that?

Solid angle I guess.

Yep. Solid angle.
And heat waves don't necessarily travel fast. In this exercise, they do.

The answer is

[itex] \dfrac{Ht \left( 1- \dfrac{h}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}} \right) -2H't}{2m(T_2 - T_1)} [/itex]

Likes 1 person

1. What is specific heat of a liquid?

Specific heat of a liquid is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of the liquid by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat of a liquid measured?

Specific heat of a liquid can be measured using a calorimeter. The liquid is heated to a known temperature and then mixed with a known amount of water at a lower temperature. By measuring the change in temperature of the water, the specific heat of the liquid can be calculated using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the liquid, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. Why is it important to know the specific heat of a liquid?

Knowing the specific heat of a liquid can help in various applications such as cooking, designing heating and cooling systems, and understanding the properties of different substances. It can also be used to calculate the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a substance.

4. What factors can affect the specific heat of a liquid?

Some factors that can affect the specific heat of a liquid include the type of liquid, its temperature, and its composition. The specific heat can also vary with pressure and may change with temperature.

5. Can the specific heat of a liquid change?

Yes, the specific heat of a liquid can change with temperature. As the temperature of a liquid increases, its specific heat may decrease. This is because the internal energy of the molecules increases, making it easier to raise the temperature of the liquid with the same amount of heat energy.