What is the Square Footage of the Barn Roof?

• Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of square feet of roofing on a barn with given dimensions and a roof shape represented by an inverted catenary curve. The solution involves using the Arc Length Integral formula, hyperbolic trigonometric identities, and simplifying the final answer to 4,000(sinh(1)ft2.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

A barn is 100 feet long and 40 feet wide. A cross section of the roof is the inverted catenary y = 31 - 10(ex/20+e-x/20). Find the number of square feet of roofing on the barn

Homework Equations

Arc Length Integral
Hyperbolic trigonometric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I start with my bounds [-20,20] and by rewriting y = f(x) as 31 - 20cosh(x/20) and continue on with y' as 0 - 20sinh(x/20)*(1/20) -> -sinh(x/20). y'2 = sinh2(x/20). The Arc Length formula requires me to take the square root of 1 + y'2. But I feel I should multiply my overall arc length by 100 to give me the area in square feet of the roof. So I have as my integrand 100(1+sinh2(x/20))1/2. Using the identity sinh2(x) = (cosh(2x) - 1)/2 I have for my integrand 100(1+(cosh(x/10)-1)/2))1/2) which boils down to 100((cosh(x/10) +1)/2)1/2 and I can use the identity (cosh(2x)+1)/2 = sinh2(x) to move it into 100sinh(x/20). Letting u = x/20 -> 20du = dx. After integration I have 2,000(sinh(x/20) evaluated at x=20 and x= -20 to give me 2,000(sinh(1)-sinh(-1))ft2. Hopefully I did everything right, I don't have an answer in my book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me. Using the fact that sinh(x) is an odd function, you should be able to simplify your final answer.

of course, thank you.
I believe I just double the area, 4,000(sinh(1)ft2 should be the value if that's true.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the square footage of a barn roof?

The square footage of a barn roof can be calculated by multiplying the length by the width of the roof. For example, if the length of the barn is 20 feet and the width is 10 feet, the square footage of the roof would be 200 square feet.

2. What units are typically used to measure the square footage of a barn roof?

The most common unit used to measure the square footage of a barn roof is square feet. However, some may also use square meters or other units of measurement depending on their preference.

3. How do you measure the length and width of a barn roof?

The length and width of a barn roof can be measured using a measuring tape or a measuring wheel. Simply measure from one end of the roof to the other to find the length, and from one side of the roof to the other to find the width.

4. Are there any additional factors to consider when calculating the square footage of a barn roof?

Yes, there are a few additional factors that may affect the square footage of a barn roof. These include the pitch of the roof, any overhangs or extensions, and the type of roofing material used.

5. Why is it important to know the square footage of a barn roof?

Knowing the square footage of a barn roof is important for several reasons. It can help with purchasing the right amount of roofing materials, calculating the cost of a new roof, and determining the structural integrity of the roof.