Write the given hyperbolic function as simply as possible

In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.In summary, the given expression can be rewritten as ##1\over 2\cosh x## by dividing both the numerator and denominator by ##e^x##. There is no need to write ##1## as ##\cosh x + \sinh x##.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
##\dfrac{e^x}{1+e^{2x}}##
Relevant Equations
hyperbolic equations
My take;

##2\cosh x = e^x +e^{-x}##

I noted that i could multiply both sides by ##e^x## i.e

##e^x⋅2\cosh x = e^x(e^x +e^{-x})##

##e^x⋅2\cosh x = e^{2x}+1##

thus,

##\dfrac{e^x}{1+e^{2x}}=\dfrac{\cosh x + \sinh x}{e^x⋅2\cosh x}##

##= \dfrac{\cosh x + \sinh x}{(\cosh x + \sinh x)⋅2\cosh x}##

##=\dfrac{1}{2\cosh x}##
any other approach is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: ##\dfrac{e^x}{1+e^{2x}}##
Relevant Equations:: hyperbolic equations

both sides
There are no 'sides'
There is no 'equation'

You post an expression. If you divide numerator and denominator by ##e^x## you see that you can rewrite the expression as ##1\over 2\cosh x##: the numerator is now ##1## and the denominator is now ##2\cosh x##. There is no need to write ##1## as ##\cosh x + \sinh x##

Cheers !

##\ ##

BvU said:
There are no 'sides'
There is no 'equation'

You post an expression. If you divide numerator and denominator by ##e^x## you see that you can rewrite the expression as ##1\over 2\cosh x##: the numerator is now ##1## and the denominator is now ##2\cosh x##. There is no need to write ##1## as ##\cosh x + \sinh x##

Cheers !

##\ ##
...seen that...correct man ! it's an expression ...i just posted exactly as it appears on textbook...i should have checked that or rather introduced ##f(x)## on the lhs.

BvU said:
There is no need to write ##1## as ##\cosh x + \sinh x##
the more so because it is totally incorrect :biggrin: ! My bad, I should have written "##e^x## as ##\cosh x + \sinh x## "

Likes chwala

1. What is a hyperbolic function?

A hyperbolic function is a type of mathematical function that is defined by the relationship between the exponential function and the inverse trigonometric functions. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How do you write a hyperbolic function in its simplest form?

To write a hyperbolic function in its simplest form, you need to use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. This involves factoring, cancelling out common terms, and using trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identity.

3. What are some common hyperbolic functions?

Some common hyperbolic functions include the hyperbolic sine (sinh), hyperbolic cosine (cosh), hyperbolic tangent (tanh), hyperbolic secant (sech), hyperbolic cosecant (csch), and hyperbolic cotangent (coth). These functions have similar properties to their corresponding trigonometric functions.

4. Can you give an example of writing a hyperbolic function in its simplest form?

Yes, for example, the hyperbolic function sinh(x) can be written as (e^x - e^-x)/2, using the definition of the hyperbolic sine function. This expression can be further simplified using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities.

5. Why is it important to write a hyperbolic function in its simplest form?

Writing a hyperbolic function in its simplest form allows for easier calculations and better understanding of the function's properties. It also helps in solving equations and making connections between hyperbolic and trigonometric functions. Additionally, it can be useful in graphing and analyzing the behavior of the function.