What is the uncertainty principle

In summary, the Uncertainty Principle states that the product of the variances of two non-commuting Hermitian operators must be greater than or equal to a specific value, and it is only when the operators commute that their variances can be measured simultaneously with no uncertainty. This principle is often expressed as the well-known equation, \Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar/2 , which is derived from the commutation relation between position and momentum.
Definition/Summary

This is a derivation of the Uncertainty Principle based on the properties of non-commuting Hermitian operators.

Equations

[tex]\langle (\Delta A)^2 \rangle \langle (\Delta B)^2 \rangle \geq \frac{1}{4} |\langle [A,B] \rangle | ^2 [/tex]

[tex]\langle (\Delta x_i)^2 \rangle \langle (\Delta p_i)^2 \rangle \geq \frac{1}{4} \hbar ^2 [/tex]

Extended explanation

Let A, B be a pair of operators. We define [itex]\Delta A \equiv A - \langle A \rangle I [/itex], where the expectation value of A with respect to some state [itex]|a \rangle [/itex], is defined as [itex]\langle A \rangle = \langle a | A | a \rangle [/itex]. This number tells you what A will be measured as, on average, over several repeated measurements performed on the system, when prepared identically.

Now, we define an important quantity: the variance or mean square deviation, which is [itex]\langle ( \Delta A ) ^2 \rangle [/itex]. This quantity is no different from the variance in any statistical collection of data. Plugging in from above

[tex]\langle ( \Delta A ) ^2 \rangle = \langle (A - \langle A \rangle I)^2 \rangle = \langle A^2 \rangle - \langle A \rangle ^2 ~~~-~(1)[/tex]

Let [itex]|x \rangle [/itex] be any arbitrary (but normalized) state ket. Let

[tex]|a \rangle = \Delta A ~ |x \rangle [/tex]
[tex]|b \rangle = \Delta B ~ |x \rangle [/tex]

First we apply the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality (which is essentially a result that is two steps removed from saying that the length of a vector is a positive, real number): [itex] \langle a |a \rangle \langle b |b \rangle \geq | \langle a |b \rangle |^2 [/itex], to the above kets (keeping in mind that [itex]\Delta A~, ~\Delta B [/itex] are Hermitian), giving

[tex]\langle (\Delta A)^2 \rangle \langle (\Delta B)^2 \rangle \geq |\langle \Delta A \Delta B \rangle | ^2 ~~~-~(2)[/tex]

Next we write

[tex]\Delta A \Delta B = \frac{1}{2}(\Delta A \Delta B - \Delta B \Delta A) + \frac{1}{2}(\Delta A \Delta B + \Delta B \Delta A) = \frac{1}{2}[\Delta A, \Delta B] + \frac{1}{2}\{ \Delta A, \Delta B \} ~~~-~(3) [/tex]

Now, the commutator

[tex][\Delta A,~ \Delta B] = [A - \langle A \rangle I,~B - \langle B \rangle I] = [A,B] ~~~-~(4)[/tex]

And notice that [itex] [A,B] [/itex] is anti-Hermitian, giving it a purely imaginary expectation value. On the other hand, the anti-commutator [itex]\{ \Delta A,~ \Delta B \} [/itex] is clearly Hermitian, and so, has a real expectation. Thus

[tex]\langle \Delta A \Delta B \rangle = \frac{1}{2}\langle [A,B] \rangle + \frac{1}{2} \langle \{ \Delta A,~ \Delta B \} \rangle ~~~-~(5)[/tex]

Since the terms on the RHS are merely the real and imaginary parts of the expectation on the LHS, we have

[tex]| \langle \Delta A \Delta B \rangle |^2 = \frac{1}{4}| \langle [ A,B] \rangle |^2 + \frac{1}{4} | \langle \{ \Delta A,~ \Delta B\} \rangle |^2 \geq \frac{1}{4}| \langle [A,B] \rangle |^2~~~-~(6)[/tex]

Using the result of (6) in (2) gives :

[tex]\langle (\Delta A)^2 \rangle \langle (\Delta B)^2 \rangle \geq \frac{1}{4} |\langle [A,B] \rangle | ^2 ~~~-~(7)[/tex]

The above equation (7), is the most general form of the Uncertainty Relation for a pair of hermitian operators. So far, it is nothing more than a statement of a particular property of certain specifically constructed hermitian matrices.

Notice that if the operators A, B commute (ie: [A,B] = 0), then the product of the variances vanish, and there is no uncertanity in measuring their observables simultaneously. It is only in the case of non-commuting (or incompatible) operators, that you see the more popular form of the Uncertainty Principle, where the product of the variances does not vanish.

Specifically, in the case where [itex]A = \hat{x_i}~,~~B = \hat{p_i} [/itex], we use the commutation relation:

[tex] [\hat{x_i},\hat{p_i}] = i \hbar ~~~-~(8)[/tex]

This equation follows from the definition of the quantum mechanical momentum operator, which is constructed upon the following two observations:

(i) In classical mechanics, momentum is the generator of infintesimal translations. The infinitesimal translation operator, [itex]\tau (d \mathbf{x}) [/itex], defined by [itex]\tau (d \mathbf{x}) |\mathbf{x} \rangle \equiv |\mathbf{x} + d \mathbf{x} \rangle [/itex] can be written as

[tex] \tau (d \mathbf{x}) = I - i\mathbf{K} \cdot d \mathbf{x} [/tex]

(ii) K is an operator with dimension length -1, and hence, can be written as [itex] \mathbf{K} = \mathbf{p} / [action] [/itex]. The choice of this universal constant with dimensions of action (energy*time) comes from the de broglie observation [itex]k = p/ \hbar [/itex]. So, writing [itex] \tau (d \mathbf{x}) = I - i\mathbf{p} \cdot d \mathbf{x} /\hbar [/itex] leads to the expected commutation relation , [itex][\hat{x_i}, \hat{p_i} ] = i \hbar [/itex].

Plugging this into (7) gives the correct expression for the HUP:

[tex]\langle (\Delta x_i)^2 \rangle \langle (\Delta p_i)^2 \rangle \geq \frac{1}{4} \hbar ^2 [/tex]

It is this expression that is often popularized in the (somewhat misleading) short-hand: [itex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar/2[/itex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Likes Jared Edington
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an excellent summary of the Uncertainty Principle and how it relates to the properties of non-commuting Hermitian operators. The explanation given is concise yet thorough, and provides a clear insight into the mathematical derivation of the equation. It is also useful to know the origin of the commutation relation between position and momentum, which can be traced back to de Broglie's observation. Great job!

Related to What is the uncertainty principle

What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as its position and momentum, with absolute certainty at the same time.

Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

Why is the uncertainty principle important?

The uncertainty principle is important because it limits the precision with which we can measure certain properties of particles. It also plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.

How does the uncertainty principle relate to quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps to explain the probabilistic nature of particles and their behavior as both waves and particles.

Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. However, there are ways to minimize the uncertainty of certain properties, but it cannot be completely eliminated.