What is the value of the B field in Teslas, inside the Helmholz coils?

In summary, the value of the B field in Teslas inside the Helmholz coils for a current of 2.5 amps is 1.925 x 10^-3. However, without knowing the radius of the coils and the number of turns of wire, it is impossible to determine the accuracy of this result. The complete formula for calculating the B field can be found on the Wikipedia page for Helmholz coils.
Eddie10

Homework Statement

For a current of 2.5 amps, what is the value of teh B field in Teslas, inside the Helmholz coils in the e/m apparatus?

Homework Equations

B = 7.7 x 10^4 x I , I is the current in amps.

The Attempt at a Solution

B = B = 7.7 x 10^4 x 2.5 amps = .001925 = 1.925 x 10^-3Did I do this correctly? This is for the E/M Experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible to say whether your result is correct, without knowing the radius of the coils and the number of turns of wire in each coil. You can see the complete formula here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil

jtbell said:
It's impossible to say whether your result is correct, without knowing the radius of the coils and the number of turns of wire in each coil. You can see the complete formula here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil
Hmmm...I don't have any of that information for this problem, and it was not given as part of the lab.The reason I don't have this information is because I have not conducted any type of experimental data collection, as I am fulfilling a pre-lab questionnaire for credit.

Would it even be possible to say that I am, generally, in the right track with my answer?

Last edited:
When you plug the radius, number of turns, and ##\mu_0## into the formula on the Wiki page, you get a constant times I. Apparently they pre-calculated the constant for you, so you just have to trust that they got it right. You wrote the exponent as 4, but the result of your calculation indicates that you used -4, which is more likely to be correct than +4. Even 1.0 Tesla is much larger than you're likely to produce in an introductory physics lab. The world record appears to be about 90 Tesla.

(When I taught labs that used Helmholtz coils, I told my students the number of turns, and asked them to measure R for themselves and calculate B using the Wiki formula. You guys have it easy. :rolleyes:)

Yes, your calculation is correct. The value of the B field inside the Helmholz coils in the E/M apparatus would be 1.925 x 10^-3 Teslas.

Related to What is the value of the B field in Teslas, inside the Helmholz coils?

1. What is the B field inside the Helmholz coils?

The B field inside the Helmholz coils is the magnetic field strength measured in Teslas (T). It is created by the electric current flowing through the coils and is directed along the axis of the coils.

2. How is the B field in Teslas calculated inside the Helmholz coils?

The B field in Teslas inside the Helmholz coils can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀NI/R, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in each coil, I is the current flowing through the coils, and R is the radius of the coils.

3. What is the ideal value of the B field in Teslas inside the Helmholz coils?

The ideal value of the B field in Teslas inside the Helmholz coils is dependent on the specific experiment or application. However, it is typically desired to have a uniform and stable B field with a specific strength, which can be achieved by adjusting the number of turns and current in the coils.

4. Can the B field inside the Helmholz coils be adjusted?

Yes, the B field inside the Helmholz coils can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the coils or the current flowing through them. By increasing the number of turns or the current, the B field strength can be increased, and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the B field strength inside the Helmholz coils?

The B field strength inside the Helmholz coils can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coils, the current flowing through them, and the distance from the center of the coils. Other external magnetic fields or materials near the coils can also interfere with the B field strength.