Wrong B-Field Result: What Should I Have Done?

In summary: I'm not sure how that would change the answer though.Your guess would be that the current is supposed to be uniformly distributed across the disc, so each ring element width dr carries a current ##\frac {Idr}R##. I'm not sure how that would change the answer though.
rmrribeiro
Homework Statement
I need to calculate de B (in a position along the axis) field created by a disk with current I.
The parametera were:
Radius of the disk: a=0,007 m
Current: I=1,07 A
Miu0= 1,2566E-6 NA-2
The position: Z=0,0593m
Relevant Equations
THe b filed along the a spire (or loop)
B= (Miu0 . I) (a^2/(a^2+z^2)^(3/2)
I integrated B within the limits of a (from 0 to 0.007)
teh result was 3.64E-10 T and it was wrong. the correcto one would be 5.8 E-4 T and it is a major diference (aprox 1 million times )
Waht shoud I have done?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible that you put in the wrong form of ##dA## (differential area element) when integrating over the disk?

##dA = r dr d \theta## for your double integral.

rmrribeiro said:
Homework Statement:: I need to calculate de B (in a position along the axis) field created by a disk with current I.
The parametera were:
Radius of the disk: a=0,007 m
Current: I=1,07 A
Miu0= 1,2566E-6 NA-2
The position: Z=0,0593m
Relevant Equations:: THe b filed along the a spire (or loop)
B= (Miu0 . I) (a^2/(a^2+z^2)^(3/2)

I integrated B within the limits of a (from 0 to 0.007)
teh result was 3.64E-10 T and it was wrong. the correcto one would be 5.8 E-4 T and it is a major diference (aprox 1 million times )
Waht shoud I have done?
Please show your work so we can see what you actually did.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Imagem WhatsApp 2023-03-12 às 17.47.04.jpg

My approach was that a disk is a “infinite” number of circular loops with radius between the values of ‘a’

Your approach is clearly wrong because it produces a result with the wrong units. You're multiplying an expression which has units of T with da which has units of m, so your answer is going to be T•m, not just T as you want.

What does it mean for a disk to carry a current ##I##? It makes sense to talk about a current going around a ring. There's only one path the charges can follow, but that's not the case for a disk. Can you post the actual problem statement?

The B field in a loop with current I is guiven by (at a guiven distance along the axis)
B=(μ0 . I) (a^2/(a^2+z^2)^(3/2)

If we have a continuos set of rings from 0 to 0.007 m, each with a current I= 1.07 A, what would be the B field in a point at 0.0593 m along the axis?

If each infinitesimal ring carried a finite current of 1.07 A, there would be an infinite current flowing around the center of the disk because you would need an infinite number of rings. The field at z would be infinite.

I realised that, but believed it to be some sort of missusing of words. ANd the suposed correct solution is B(0,0593)=5.8E-4 T

Well, without a well-posed problem, you're just guessing.

In any case, the supposed answer seems to be unrealistically large given the numbers in the problem. If you calculate the field at ##z## for a ring of radius ##a## carrying current ##I##, the field is many orders of magnitude smaller than the supposed answer to the problem. I don't see how spreading the current around on a disk is going to change that.

Last edited:
rmrribeiro said:
I realised that, but believed it to be some sort of missusing of words. ANd the suposed correct solution is B(0,0593)=5.8E-4 T
My guess would be that the current is supposed to be uniformly distributed across the disc, so each ring element width dr carries a current ##\frac {Idr}R##.

1. What is a "wrong B-field result" in science?

A "wrong B-field result" in science refers to a situation where the measured or calculated value of a magnetic field (B-field) does not match the expected or theoretical value. This can occur due to various factors such as experimental errors, incorrect assumptions, or faulty equipment.

2. How can I identify a wrong B-field result?

A wrong B-field result can be identified by comparing the measured or calculated value to the expected or theoretical value. If there is a significant difference between the two, it is likely that the result is incorrect. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and analyzing the data for consistency can also help identify a wrong B-field result.

3. What are some potential causes of a wrong B-field result?

There are several potential causes of a wrong B-field result, including human error, faulty equipment, incorrect experimental setup, or incorrect assumptions about the system being studied. It is important to carefully review the experimental procedure and data analysis to identify any potential sources of error.

4. How can I prevent getting a wrong B-field result in my experiments?

To prevent getting a wrong B-field result, it is important to carefully design and plan the experiment, ensuring that all equipment is functioning properly and that the experimental setup is appropriate for the system being studied. Conducting multiple trials and using appropriate controls can also help to reduce the chances of obtaining a wrong B-field result.

5. What should I do if I get a wrong B-field result?

If you obtain a wrong B-field result, you should carefully review your experimental procedure and data analysis to identify any potential sources of error. You may also consider repeating the experiment or conducting additional trials to verify the results. If the cause of the wrong B-field result cannot be identified, it may be necessary to seek guidance from a mentor or colleague.