What is the Velocity and Distance of an Automobile with a Changing Force?

In summary, the problem involves an automobile with a mass of 650 kg and a net force of F = 800 - 40.0t acting on it. At t=0, the velocity of the automobile is 5.00m/s. The acceleration of the automobile at t=10.0s is 0.615 m/s^2. The velocity of the automobile at t=10.0s is 11.15 m/s. The distance covered in this time is 30.75 m. To find the time at which the automobile will be moving with a velocity of 15.0 m/s, the formula V=at is used, resulting in a time of 24 seconds.
ur5pointos2sl
I have posted a problem below and my attempt could someone please tell me if I am going wrong and where. Thanks

An automobile of mass 650 kg is acted on by a net force (F) given by F = 800 - 40.0t, where t is in seconds and F is in Newtons. At t=0, the velocity of the automobile is 5.00m/s.

a) Find the acceleration of the automobile at t=10.0s

800-40(t) / 650 = 400/650 = .615 m/s^2

b) Find the velocity of the automobile at t=10.0s

.615t = .615(10s) =6.15 m/s

c) Find the distance covered in this time.

x = (1/2)V*t
(1/2)(6.15)(10) = 30.75 m

d) At what time will the automobile be moving with a velocity of 15.0 m/s

V=at

t=V/a = 15/.615
t= 24 s

Physics news on Phys.org
b is incorrect
remember a=(final velocity-initial velocity)/ (delta time)

Suy said:
b is incorrect
remember a=(final velocity-initial velocity)/ (delta time)

In this problem there is no final velocity?

Last edited:
At t=0, the velocity of the automobile is 5.00m/s.
For B, you are solving the final velocity at 10.0s, (initial is not 0)

Suy said:
At t=0, the velocity of the automobile is 5.00m/s.
For B, you are solving the final velocity at 10.0s, (initial is not 0)

ok correct me if I am wrong..I am a beginner at this..

So if I rearrange the equation you gave me

final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time
= 5.00 + (.615 * 10.0 )
= 11.15 m/s ?

Correct

Related to What is the Velocity and Distance of an Automobile with a Changing Force?

What is dynamics in physics?

Dynamics in physics is the study of motion and the forces that affect it. It involves analyzing the causes of motion and how objects move in response to different forces.

What are the main principles of dynamics?

The main principles of dynamics include Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering its causes, while dynamics involves the analysis of forces and their effects on motion. Kinematics focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects, while dynamics also considers the forces acting on those objects.

What are some common examples of dynamics in everyday life?

Some common examples of dynamics in everyday life include throwing a ball, driving a car, and riding a bike. These activities involve the application of forces to produce motion or change in motion.

How is the study of dynamics useful?

The study of dynamics is useful in understanding the physical world around us and how objects behave in different situations. It is also essential in engineering and technology, as it helps design and build structures and machines that can withstand and utilize forces. Additionally, understanding dynamics can help predict and prevent potential hazards and accidents.