What is the weight of an object with a mass of 0.5kg on a dynamometer?

In summary, my brother is trying to figure out how much weight an object with a mass of 0.5 kg would have on a dynamometer and there isn't much information on the topic in his book. He is worried about the answer to the question and has a test coming up that would help him. He is from the US and I'm not sure if the scales in Europe are in kilograms or Newtons.
Lunny

Homework Statement

I am trying to help my lil bro (12 yo) with some physics. I've never been good in physics and now it's been more then 10 years that I've been to elementary school.

I've helped him with some stuff but there's this one question that i don't understand and there's very little material on it in his book. It's about a dynamometer and weight. It asks if we put an object that weighs 0.5kg in the dynamometer what will the weight be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Logicaly i assume that it would be 0.5kg but i am not sure. Perhaps the result must be in N(ewton)?

We haven't tried the F = 0.5kg * 10 N/kg, formula. As i am not sure if it's right in this case with dynamometer.

Should the result be in KG or N, or something else?

He has a test in a couple of days and it would really help him/us.

Please advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
In Physics, the weight force is given in Newtons. The mass is 0.5 kg, the weight is mg = 5 N, as you have noted (using g= 10 m/s^2, it is actually 9.8 m/s^2). So yes, 1 kg weighs about 10 N , on Planet earth, and the dyno reads that value.

I should note, however, that being from the States, I've never been to a country that uses Metric units, but i understand from others that if you place a kilogram of bananas on a scale in a grocery store, the scale will read 1 kg, not 10 N. I don't think the ordinary layman knows what a Newton is, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone from any country besides the USA and Myanmar (formerly Burma) can help out.:wink:

Last edited:
As the question is what weight will the dynamometer show, the answer will be expressed in Newtons.
My opinion here is that there's no need to fuss over the dynamometer whilst searching for the solution of the problem; the problem itself could have been stated in a simpler manner, e. g. "If the mass of an object is 0.5kg, what is it's weight?"

You might want to explain the difference between mass and weight to your brother.
Btw, the value for "g" isn't the same everywhere on earth, but with 9.8N/kg or 9.81N/kg, you'll be fine. Don't use 10N/kg, except if your bro's teacher says it's OK.

P.S.
Slightly offtopic. I'm not quite sure that I understand the relevance of grocery store scales for this question, but, no, the scales in e. g. Europe aren't in Newtons - they're in kilograms. :)
(I'm questioning the relevance as, afaik, dynamometers always show results measured in weight units, not mass units.)

Related to What is the weight of an object with a mass of 0.5kg on a dynamometer?

1. What is a dynamometer and how does it work?

A dynamometer is a device used to measure force, torque, or power. It works by applying a known amount of resistance to an object and measuring the force required to overcome that resistance. This measurement can then be used to calculate the object's strength or power.

2. What are the different types of dynamometers?

There are several types of dynamometers including hydraulic, electric, and mechanical. Hydraulic dynamometers use fluid pressure to generate resistance, electric dynamometers use an electric motor to create resistance, and mechanical dynamometers use gears, levers, or springs to create resistance.

3. How is a dynamometer used in the automotive industry?

In the automotive industry, dynamometers are used to measure an engine's power and torque output. This information is used to evaluate the performance of a vehicle's engine and make adjustments to improve its efficiency.

4. Can a dynamometer be used for other purposes besides measuring engine power?

Yes, dynamometers can also be used to measure the strength and power of other machines and equipment, such as industrial motors, turbines, and pumps. They can also be used in physical therapy and sports training to measure the strength and performance of muscles.

5. How accurate are dynamometer measurements?

The accuracy of a dynamometer measurement depends on the type of dynamometer used and the conditions in which it is used. Generally, dynamometers have a high level of accuracy, with some models boasting an accuracy of up to 0.1% or better. However, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and vibration can affect the accuracy of the measurement.