What is wrong with my matrix inversion?

In summary, Fredrik and Mark suggest a different method to solve the homework equation, which does not involve matrix multiplication.
k_squared

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of the matrix:

1 1 -1
2 -1 1
1 1 2

Homework Equations

One must be aware of the identity matrix, as well as how add one row to another with matrix multiplication, for example, the matrix

1 0 0
k 1 0
0 0 1

would add k times the first row to the second row.

The Attempt at a Solution

xFZKqU9.jpg

Which must be wrong, sadly enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
After adding -5/2 times the third to the second (step 5), the number in the middle should be 1-5/2, but you wrote -3/5.

k_squared said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of the matrix:

1 1 -1
2 -1 1
1 1 2

Homework Equations

One must be aware of the identity matrix, as well as how add one row to another with matrix multiplication, for example, the matrix

1 0 0
k 1 0
0 0 1

would add k times the first row to the second row.

The Attempt at a Solution

xFZKqU9.jpg

Which must be wrong, sadly enough.
You're not doing it the way I learned to do this. How I learned was to set up an augmented matrix with the matrix to invert on the left, and the identity matrix on the right, like so:
$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 &1 & -1 &| & 1 & 0 & 0\\
2 & -1 & 1 & | & 0 & 1 & 0\\
1 & 1 & 2 & | & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}$$
Now completely row-reduce the matrix on the left to get it to the identity matrix, and your inverse will be on the right. When I did it, there were no "half" entries. Most of the entries had denominators of 3.

First of is this the method you learned in class? Because this seems prone to errors.
You could try Gauss-Jordan Elimination it is essentially the same, but you have some "book keeping" abilities.

It is similar to Gaussian Elimination for systems of linear equations.

[Edit] Too late :)

Just search for simple linear combinations.
Math is about using your brains.
If your method does not work invent a better one or study.

my2cts said:
Just search for simple linear combinations.
Math is about using your brains.
If your method does not work invent a better one or study.
It's true that OP would have benefited from using some simpler combinations.

However, the method works perfectly well. Fredrik has pointed out where a computational error occurred and Mark has suggest a method with easier "book keeping".

What is wrong with my matrix inversion?

1. Why is my matrix inversion giving me incorrect results?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that there could be errors in the code or algorithm used for the inversion. Another possibility is that the matrix may not be invertible, meaning it does not have an inverse. It is also possible that there are errors in the input data or calculations used in the inversion process.

2. How can I fix my matrix inversion?

If the issue is with the code or algorithm, you can try debugging or checking for errors in the code. If the matrix is not invertible, you may need to use a different method or approach to solve your problem. If there are errors in the input data, you may need to double check your calculations or try using different data to see if the results improve.

3. Is there a faster way to perform matrix inversion?

There are different methods and algorithms for matrix inversion, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. You can do some research to find the most efficient method for your specific problem. Additionally, there are also specialized libraries and software that can perform matrix inversion more efficiently than manual coding.

4. Can matrix inversion be used for any type of matrix?

No, not all matrices are invertible. For a matrix to be invertible, it must be a square matrix and have a non-zero determinant. If these conditions are not met, then matrix inversion cannot be used.

5. Are there any alternatives to matrix inversion?

Yes, there are several alternatives to matrix inversion such as LU decomposition, QR decomposition, and SVD decomposition. These methods can be more efficient for certain types of matrices and may provide more accurate results. It is important to research and understand the strengths and limitations of each method before deciding which one to use.