Need help deciding on a calculator

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of purchasing a new graphing calculator. The individual was deciding between a Ti-89 Titanium and a Ti-Nspire CX, but was open to suggestions for other calculators. They mentioned their preference for the logic used in their current Ti-30XS calculator and expressed dislike for the reverse logic used by Casio calculators. Another individual suggested using a script language on a tablet or netbook, and mentioned the limitations of graphing calculators. The original poster then mentioned the possibility of using an app or Wolfram Alpha for graphing and math problems.
kikko
I had no idea where to post this.

Anyways, I want to buy a graphing calculator. I am deciding between a Ti-89 Titanium and a Ti-Nspire CX. Or, is there another calculator you suggest?

Right now I have a Ti-30XS, and I like the kind of logic used to enter my math into that. I don't like the reverse logic or whatever the other type is, that I believe CaSiO uses. Any help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd have suggested an app for your touchscreen device these days. example
Running a script language on a tablet or a netbook? - I've always found graphing calculators to be limited.

kikko said:
I had no idea where to post this.

You didn't notice that we have a Calculators forum. :smile:

(to which I've moved this thread)

Last edited:
Wolfram Alpha

I would recommend doing some research on the specific features and capabilities of both the Ti-89 Titanium and the Ti-Nspire CX before making a decision. Consider what functions and operations you will need the calculator for and which one offers the best options for your needs. Additionally, you may want to read reviews or ask for recommendations from other users who may have experience with both calculators. It's also important to consider your own personal preference and comfort with the logic used for entering math equations. Ultimately, the best calculator for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.

1. What types of calculations will the calculator be used for?

The answer to this question will depend on the specific needs of the user. Some calculators are better suited for basic arithmetic calculations, while others are designed for more complex mathematical functions or data analysis. It is important to consider the intended use of the calculator when making a decision.

2. What is the budget for the calculator?

Calculators come in a wide range of prices, from basic models that cost less than $10 to advanced scientific calculators that can cost over $100. It is important to determine a budget before starting the search for a calculator to ensure that the chosen model fits within the allotted price range.

3. Are there any specific features or functions that are needed?

Some users may require specific features or functions in a calculator, such as graphing capabilities, statistical functions, or programmability. It is important to determine which features are necessary for the intended use of the calculator and prioritize them when making a decision.

4. Is a physical or digital calculator preferred?

While both physical and digital calculators can perform similar functions, some users may have a preference for one over the other. Physical calculators are typically more durable and do not require batteries, while digital calculators can offer more advanced features and greater portability.

5. What are the reviews and ratings for the calculator?

Before making a purchase, it is important to research and read reviews and ratings from other users. This can provide valuable insights into the performance, durability, and user experience of a particular calculator. It is also helpful to compare reviews and ratings from multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the product.