What math to take alongside Physics 3 Thermo and Waves

In summary, at your school it may be possible to take both differential equations and linear algebra, but it is up to the individual student to decide whether or not this would be too much of a course load.
alfab
I am enrolling for classes for next semester and I have the option to take either differential Equations or Linear algebra or both next semester. I have completed Calc 1, 2, and I am completing multivariable this semester. I am a physics major and going into thermo and waves next semester so I was wondering which one i should take or if i could take both at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you take DE next, but that is largely a matter of personal preference. Does your school's nominal curriculum give any guidance on this matter?

Dr.D said:
I would suggest that you take DE next, but that is largely a matter of personal preference. Does your school's nominal curriculum give any guidance on this matter?
At my school I am technically ahead in the math curriculum so I am technically not required to take diff eqs just yet (they recommend you take it 4th semester and multi-variable 3rd, but i took it second) and linear they said you can just get it done whenever so i was thinking about taking linear first and getting that out of the way that way I will still be on course with my math track, but honestly if I could take both at the same time and knock them both out that would be amazing as well. I'm just not sure if that will be too much of a course load.

Much depends on the content of your DE course. This was the most difficult math subject for me personally, and I'd have to say, it took years for me to fully digest it. I took the course once (in the pure math department) but did not think I had learned anything useful. I took it again in the applied math department, and I learned some useful ideas but saw my grade drop a letter. I decided to stop there and continue on my own, learning it through dynamics, vibrations, controls, etc.

What are the recommended math courses to take alongside Physics 3 Thermo and Waves?

The recommended math courses to take alongside Physics 3 Thermo and Waves are Calculus 1 and 2, as well as Linear Algebra. These courses will provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts that are essential for understanding thermodynamics and wave phenomena.

Do I need to take all of these math courses at the same time as Physics 3 Thermo and Waves?

It is not necessary to take all of these math courses at the same time as Physics 3 Thermo and Waves. However, it is highly recommended to take them before or alongside the course, as the mathematical concepts will be applied and reinforced throughout the physics course.

Are there any other math courses that would be helpful to take alongside Physics 3 Thermo and Waves?

Additional math courses that may be helpful to take alongside Physics 3 Thermo and Waves are Differential Equations and Multivariable Calculus. These courses delve deeper into mathematical concepts that are relevant to thermodynamics and wave phenomena.

What concepts from Calculus and Linear Algebra are necessary for understanding Physics 3 Thermo and Waves?

The concepts from Calculus and Linear Algebra that are necessary for understanding Physics 3 Thermo and Waves include derivatives, integrals, vectors, and matrices. These concepts are used to solve equations, understand motion, and analyze forces in thermodynamics and wave phenomena.

Are there any online resources or textbooks that can help me review the necessary math concepts for Physics 3 Thermo and Waves?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available to help you review the necessary math concepts for Physics 3 Thermo and Waves. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks such as "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by Riley, Hobson, and Bence.