What should I do if my professor doesn't reply

• Thread starter Josh1079
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary, the professor from another university that Josh did summer research with doesn't seem to be responding to any of Josh's emails. Josh is worried that he might have done something to disappoint the professor, and he is also worried about what to do if the professor doesn't reply in a week.
Josh1079
Hi, I'm currently a undergrad student and the story is that there is this professor from another university which I did some summer research with him, and I guess we had a pretty nice relationship. I sent emails just to greet him and share interesting things from time to time, and he'd reply to them just like a friend. Last time, he even wrote a reference letter for my application for exchange programme. However, about 4 days ago, I sent another email asking him about some stuff for grad school application, e.g. tips for research proposals, reference letter...etc., and I haven't heard anything from him yet. I know 4 days might not be very long, but I'm pretty sure he checks his email frequently and my past experience was that he usually replies within 2 days. I'm very anxious right now, could anyone share some opinion on this? Also, if he doesn't reply in a week(seems to be very possible right now), I'm planning to write a follow-up letter to remind him. Will that be impolite or even rude? If not, how should I phrase it up?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered, that he might be on vacation or otherwise tied up with personal matters?
Josh1079 said:
Last time, he even wrote a reference letter for my application for exchange programme.
... which also means, that you are now oriented otherwise. This could also mean, and I'm not saying that it does, he is spending more of his tight time on his current students rather than answering emails of students he possibly won't see again. Eventually there is some disappointment on his side, which is impossible to judge for outsiders like me. However, my own experience tells me that these are possible reasons. After all, even professors are only humans.

I've also thought about that, it's actually quite possible since I heard that he's going to be attending some conference recently. Does this kind of situation occur a lot? If it is really due to this reason(of course I will feel relieved that way), will I need to remind him like a week later or should I just wait patiently?

The reason why I feel so anxious is that I'm just afraid if I did something unintentionally that disappoints him.

I know these questions might be asking a bit too much to an outsider, but still thanks a lot!

Fresh had good points. There's probably a reason why he hasn't replied yet. It's normal that it takes a long time for a professor to reply. I wouldn't contact him again before 10-14 days pass. Writing to him earlier might be considered annoying and impatient.

Just use some lame excuse like you have been having problems with you email lately and you just wanted to make sure that he got your email. say something like:

''prof. [insert name here] apologies for bothering you again, I realize how busy you must be, but I I just wanted to make sure that you received my email about blah blah blah cause I've been having some trouble with my email lately and the one I sent you bounced back. anyways, I would really appreciate it if you can advise me on blaha blah blah as soon as you have some free time. thank you so much for your invaluable help. I hope is not too much bother. blah blah...

josh''

OK, got it.

Thank you all for these nice advice!

What should I do if my professor doesn't reply?

If your professor doesn't reply to your email or message, the first step is to be patient. Professors are often busy with teaching, research, and other responsibilities, so it may take them some time to respond.

How long should I wait for a response?

The amount of time you should wait for a response may vary depending on the circumstances. Generally, it is best to wait at least 1-2 business days for a response. However, if your message is time-sensitive, you may want to follow up with your professor after 24 hours.

Should I try contacting my professor through another method?

If your professor doesn't reply to your initial message, it is appropriate to try contacting them through another method, such as in person or through a different email address. However, be mindful not to spam them with multiple messages or contact them during non-business hours.

What should I do if my professor still doesn't reply?

If you have waited a reasonable amount of time and have tried contacting your professor through different methods, but still haven't received a response, it may be appropriate to reach out to the department or a colleague for assistance. They may be able to help you get in touch with your professor or provide guidance on how to proceed.

How can I avoid this issue in the future?

To avoid this issue in the future, it is important to establish clear communication expectations with your professor at the beginning of the course or semester. This could include preferred methods of communication, response time expectations, and alternative contact information. It is also helpful to be proactive and reach out to your professor well in advance if you have any questions or concerns.