What should I do to increase chances of getting a job?

In summary, as a sophomore at Rutgers New Brunswick majoring in Computer Engineering, there are several things you can do to increase your chances of getting a job after graduating. These include making good connections with companies you want to work for, pursuing internships, and learning relevant skills that employers are looking for. It is also helpful to speak with your professors about what employers are looking for and attend internship fairs and company events on campus. Getting involved in student organizations related to your field can also provide valuable networking opportunities.
Chandasouk
I am currently a sophomore at Rutgers New Brunswick and majoring in Computer Engineering. What should I be doing to increase my chances of getting a job after graduating besides good grades?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make good friends in the companies you want to work for.

Internships are a good idea.

Learn relevant skills that employers need. The example for physics majors is to learn computer languages. For a computer engineer I assume that might not be the best example since I would assume you already know some. Talk to your professors and ask them what they know about what employers really what. Of course, as lisab said, internships would be great.

There are a lot of companies who visit Rutgers looking for people to intern, especially for computer science and engineering fields (so undoubtedly for computer engineering as well). So attending relevant internship fairs and company events on campus (for instance, Google is having a panel do a presentation in a couple weeks, PM me if you want me to send you the details) would be a good idea. Getting involved in some student organizations related to your field couldn't hurt either, because they often hold various talks related to jobs, not to mention that it is good to know the fellow people in your major, since most of them are in the same boat as you are.

Related to What should I do to increase chances of getting a job?

1. What skills should I focus on to increase my chances of getting a job?

The most in-demand skills vary depending on the industry and job market, but some universal ones include communication, problem-solving, adaptability, and teamwork. It's important to research the specific skills and qualifications needed for the job you're interested in and work on developing them.

2. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

Tailor your resume to the specific job you're applying for, highlighting relevant skills and experiences. Use strong action verbs and quantify your achievements when possible. It's also helpful to have a clean and professional layout and to proofread for any errors.

3. Is networking important for increasing my chances of getting a job?

Networking is crucial in today's job market. Building relationships with professionals in your field can lead to job opportunities and valuable insights. Attend networking events, connect with people on professional platforms like LinkedIn, and reach out to your personal and professional contacts.

4. How can I prepare for a job interview?

Research the company and the position beforehand to familiarize yourself with their values and goals. Practice common interview questions and have specific examples ready to showcase your skills and experiences. Dress professionally and arrive early to make a good first impression.

5. Should I only apply for jobs that I meet all the requirements for?

It's important to have some of the required qualifications for a job, but don't let a few missing qualifications discourage you from applying. Many employers are willing to train and develop their employees. Focus on highlighting your strengths and transferable skills, and don't be afraid to take on new challenges.