What should I learn first: Trigonometry or Geometry?

In summary, the goal of self-study for physics is to provide a broad general education that can be specialized in all directions.
BadgerBadger92 said:
Yeah, I’ve noticed a lot of people on forums aren’t exactly the nicest people.
You have to remember that they only know a tiny bit of you (and vice versa).

The disgusting levels of aggravation that people experience on many social media sites is all due to the anonymity of those environments and also the low value of many of the topics discussed. PF is an environment where the level of good will and politeness is very high. People tend to be polite here because their common interest has some real meaning and is logic based. People are often called out for even mild rudeness and everyone appreciates the friendly atmosphere of PF.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
You have to remember that they only know a tiny bit of you (and vice versa).

The disgusting levels of aggravation that people experience on many social media sites is all due to the anonymity of those environments and also the low value of many of the topics discussed. PF is an environment where the level of good will and politeness is very high. People tend to be polite here because their common interest has some real meaning and is logic based. People are often called out for even mild rudeness and everyone appreciates the friendly atmosphere of PF.
Eh, there are still a lot of people here who are rude. Not to discredit the ones here who ARE nice, some people have complimented me here, but there are still a few people who are rude.

You belong to the nice guys.

BadgerBadger92 said:
You belong to the nice guys.
Hah - catch me on a bad day!

sophiecentaur said:
Hah - catch me on a bad day!
Lol!

BadgerBadger92 said:
I simply forgot I asked.
Which means you didn't follow any of the advice you got. And now are asking for more advice - or rather, people to give you the same advice as last time. Do you understand why the people who put in the effort last time might feel like their time was wasted? And underappreciated? And maybe even taken advantage of?
vanhees71 said:
d study calculus first,
Well, let's keep in mind the OP was learning long division two weeks ago. Calculus is not usually the next step after long division.

Likes Mark44
BadgerBadger92 said:
Eh, there are still a lot of people here who are rude.
Apparent rudeness can often be the result of exasperation when contributors insist on looking at things in their own idiosyncratic and mis-guided way and refuse to get their hands dirty with maths. Often, things just can't be done that way and we know.
(Jus' sayin') :rolleyes:

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, let's keep in mind the OP was learning long division two weeks ago. Calculus is not usually the next step after long division.
Imo, that's being far too polite about a really bad plan for learning Maths. It's no surprise that the vast majority of people who can use Maths successfully, followed a complete course that was fashioned by a competent teacher.

In a totally different context, lawyers have a saying that anyone who defends themselves in court is being represented by a fool.

Your foundations can never be too strong. Start with

Algebra I
Geometry
Algebra II
Pre-calc
Calculus I-III
Linear Algebra
Diff Eq

By the time you finish Diff Eq you’ll be in a good place to start physics.

You have to start somewhere. Enroll at a community college or something of the like.

Maybe you can try this

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/algebra-elementary-to-advanced#courses

$40 a month is not too much.

Vanadium 50 said:
Which means you didn't follow any of the advice you got. And now are asking for more advice - or rather, people to give you the same advice as last time. Do you understand why the people who put in the effort last time might feel like their time was wasted? And underappreciated? And maybe even taken advantage of?

Like I said I have been studying but my job is getting in the way. I’ve been bouncing around between algebra, trig, and geometry. I can factor in my head now, I can calculate circumferences of circles, can calculate the surface area and volume of spheres, can calculate the angles of triangles and know algebraic long division.

Based on my progress with the job I have I’m doing okay. Just I’m bouncing around to different types of math when I need to be focused on algebra.

I also know vectors and scalars, and how they apply to speed and velocity.
I also have somewhat of an understanding of Newtons law of gravity

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
Imo, that's being far too polite about a really bad plan for learning Maths. It's no surprise that the vast majority of people who can use Maths successfully, followed a complete course that was fashioned by a competent teacher.

In a totally different context, lawyers have a saying that anyone who defends themselves in court is being represented by a fool.
I am a fool, I know that. I was never the sharpest tool in the shed.

Fair enough. Thread closed.

Likes sophiecentaur
BadgerBadger92 said:
I am a fool, I know that. I was never the sharpest tool in the shed.
My grandma was a wise woman. She often said "Dumm darf man sein, man muß sich nur zu helfen wissen." (You can be stupid, you just have to know how to help yourself.)

There is much truth to it.

Maybe you should try classical geometry. It might not help you to understand the universe, but it can be fun.

I had a few geometry problems in my challenge threads. You will find the complete set of problems and solutions in the last attachment here (search for geometry):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solution-manuals-for-the-math-challenges.977057/

I found many little theorems here:
https://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Beweisarchiv
(Google-Chrome can translate it into any language you like with a right click with the mouse.)