What's going on with this missing thread on the PF home page?

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion on the PF home page about a thread under the Differential Geometry forum. However, when clicking on the forum, the thread does not appear, although it can be accessed through a specific link. Some post numbers are also missing from the thread. The conversation then moves on to discussing the displacement operator and its argument, which may be a vector rather than just a scalar. The author of the first post is identified as "dyn" and the issue is eventually resolved.
strangerep
Science Advisor
On the PF home page, this thread shows up as the most recent under the Differential Geometry forum. If one clicks on the forum, the thread isn't there, even though one can get into the thread by clicking on the specific link. Some post numbers seem to be missing from the thread, e.g, I don't see a post #1.

Just wondering what's going on... :oldconfused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no problem!

Shyan said:
I see no problem!
Hmm. Must be me then. Who do you see as the author of the first post in that thread?

dyn and this is the first post:
dyn said:
Hi . I've just encountered something called the displacement operator which is the exponential of a parameter multiplied by a vector but I thought the argument of an exponential had to be a scalar. Is this not true ?

Shyan said:
dyn and this is the first post: [...]
Thanks. I think I see the problem now.

Cheers.

1. What causes a thread to become messed up?

There are several factors that can contribute to a messed up thread, such as using the wrong thread tension, using the wrong type or size of thread for the fabric, or using a dull needle.

2. How can I fix a messed up thread?

The first step is to identify the cause of the issue. Once you know what caused the thread to become messed up, you can adjust the tension, switch to a different thread or needle, or try using a stabilizer to prevent further issues.

3. Can a messed up thread damage my sewing machine?

In some cases, a messed up thread can cause damage to your sewing machine. If the thread gets caught or tangled in the machine, it can lead to jams and potentially damage the needle or other parts. It's important to address any issues with a messed up thread as soon as possible to prevent damage to your machine.

4. How can I prevent my thread from becoming messed up?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your thread from becoming messed up. First, make sure you are using the correct thread and needle for the fabric you are working with. It's also important to regularly clean and maintain your sewing machine to ensure it is running smoothly. Finally, always test your thread tension and make adjustments as needed.

5. Is a messed up thread a common issue?

Yes, a messed up thread is a common issue for sewers of all levels. It can happen for a variety of reasons, but with proper maintenance and attention to detail, it can usually be easily fixed. It's important to not get discouraged and remember that even experienced sewers encounter messed up threads from time to time.