What's Your Childhood Nickname?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: I was, like, 2 or 3.I got my nickname when I was really little. My mom and dad were watching "The Shadow" one day and I was sitting in my father's lap. He called me "The Shadow" and I just kind of liked it.What's your favorite?Sugarfoot! That's adorable lol. Mine are a bit unimaginative, when I was a young kid my friends and family called me "Ry". Some of them still do which is kind of nice. As a teenager it was common for all the boys to refer to each other by their last names and (at the time anyway) replacing the last syllable with "erz" or "ee"
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My dad called me Sugarfoot because I would climb all the time, but I (almost) never fell.

What was your childhood nickname? How did you get it? Don't be shy :blushing:!

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
What stage/age-range of childhood? I've had many. Seriously.

Sugarfoot! That's adorable lol. Mine are a bit unimaginative, when I was a young kid my friends and family called me "Ry". Some of them still do which is kind of nice. As a teenager it was common for all the boys to refer to each other by their last names and (at the time anyway) replacing the last syllable with "erz" or "ee" was the thing to do. So I was "Beggerz", because my last name starts with Beg ¬¬ can't say I was happy with that one.

Likes lisab
I don't have a nick name or want to use one. But in my area, that people in rural areas call young boys "tiny cocks" is not uncommon. Sometimes, some old men in the street call me so, and I like it very much, of course if they are handsome! :nb)

My nickname was and still is "gracy".I think I don't need to tell the reason it's quite obvious.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Mad dog Fred

dlgoff said:
What stage/age-range of childhood? I've had many. Seriously.
What's your favorite?

Ryan_m_b said:
Sugarfoot! That's adorable lol. Mine are a bit unimaginative, when I was a young kid my friends and family called me "Ry". Some of them still do which is kind of nice. As a teenager it was common for all the boys to refer to each other by their last names and (at the time anyway) replacing the last syllable with "erz" or "ee" was the thing to do. So I was "Beggerz", because my last name starts with Beg ¬¬ can't say I was happy with that one.
I like Ry!

Some of my friends called me Geordie, which sometimes morphed into Geordler.

lisab said:
What's your favorite?
Stork

Dicky :H

Ryan_m_b said:
In my school, it was the " nator" suffix added to names, until poor Yuri , fresh from Russia arrived. And there was, of course, John, " No Nickname" Jones.

WWGD = World-Wide General Debate sounds like a good nickname on PF :DD

Silicon Waffle said:
WWGD = World-Wide General Debate sounds like a good nickname on PF :DD
Sorry, already taken as " What Would Gauss Do".

Likes Silicon Waffle
Greg Bernhardt said:
Twinkle toes
I'm not even goin' ask.

dlgoff said:
I'm not even goin' ask.
?

Silicon Waffle said:
?
You can ask if you want. :oldbiggrin:

dlgoff said:
You can ask if you want. :oldbiggrin:
What does your PF nickname means ? Don, Log Off/Out ! ?

Silicon Waffle said:
Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:
BTW You're not the first to wonder about this.

Some have mistaken the l for an i. dig off

Likes Silicon Waffle
dlgoff said:
... l for an i. dig off
Oh this makes sense to me actually. :nb)

Likes dlgoff
Silicon Waffle said:
Oh this makes sense to me actually. :nb)
Shh... Don't tell anyone.

Way back to my Granddad our male members have been called cocker, no one knows where it came from , and it holds firm to this day.

Likes Enigman
The best ones were Adventure (I jumped from things a lot) and Gandhi's Zombie (for being a pacifist sleepy guy who does a Civ5 Gandhi from time to time). Both didn't stick very long but they were the coolest ones.

My family abbreviated my name to "Jo", or possibly got it from the A A Milne rhyme about "Jonathan Jo". In my first vacation job, someone who knew about that introduced me as "Jo" to some workmates in the pub, and I added "short for Jonathan". The reply was: "Hi Jo-short-for-Jonathan - but that's too much of a mouthful, so we'll call you shortfer for short". It stuck for a painfully long time.

Likes Silicon Waffle, dlgoff and JorisL
Born in the 50's, Sputnik.

lisab said:
My dad called me Sugarfoot because I would climb all the time, but I (almost) never fell.

What was your childhood nickname? How did you get it? Don't be shy :blushing:!
Mine was The Shadow because it was a popular radio show and my first name is the same as that of the character, Lamonte.

nsaspook said:
Born in the 50's, Sputnik.
Nice :oldcool:.

Been called mostly Sasha all my life :D Well that's my name, too, so it helps. Back in teenage years, guys were referring to each other by their last name. My dad's name is Ilja, when we had CCCP in history class and we learned about Lenin, people sometimes called me Lenin, because of my father's name.

This was my nickname in primary school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissel
for the apparent similarity between its viscous, amorphous consistency and my über-phlegmatic demeanour at the time. Nothing to do with sweetness or kissability :wink:

In middle school I was upgraded to 'phantom', and it stuck for years.
Needless to say, the young me wasn't a terribly extroverted kid.

Bandersnatch said:
This was my nickname in primary school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissel
for the apparent similarity between its viscous, amorphous consistency and my über-phlegmatic demeanour at the time. Nothing to do with sweetness or kissability :wink:

In middle school I was upgraded to 'phantom', and it stuck for years.
Needless to say, the young me wasn't a terribly extroverted kid.
Oh middle school is horrible for many reasons, nicknames being just one. My oldest brother was a remarkably slow runner and had the nickname "Turtle" in elementary school - he didn't mind that too much. In middle school it was shortened to "Turd" which he minded very much.

That said, "phantom" isn't a bad nickname, I think!

lisab said:
Oh middle school is horrible for many reasons, nicknames being just one. My oldest brother was a remarkably slow runner and had the nickname "Turtle" in elementary school - he didn't mind that too much. In middle school it was shortened to "Turd" which he minded very much.

It's nice to hear that, a bit more information I have now.
I will never kill any turtles (I also can't do it myself actually :DD haha). Nicknames as Mick/Mickey passed, next come again the Minnie, Ostrich and the Geese which are becoming pretty popular in my area.

lisab said:
Oh, I was pretty popular in school, despite the nickname. Or maybe it even helped. Somehow it took on some weird quality of authority, and I embraced it.

The random nature of social relations in school is the weirdest thing ever.

<h2>1. What is a childhood nickname?</h2><p>A childhood nickname is a special name that is given to a person during their early years, usually by family members or close friends. It is often used as a term of endearment or to differentiate a person from others with the same name.</p><h2>2. Why do people have childhood nicknames?</h2><p>People have childhood nicknames for various reasons. It could be a shortened version of their given name, a name that describes their personality or physical traits, or a name that holds a special meaning or memory.</p><h2>3. How do childhood nicknames affect a person?</h2><p>Childhood nicknames can have both positive and negative effects on a person. They can make a person feel loved and unique, or they can be a source of teasing or embarrassment. Some people may choose to embrace their childhood nickname, while others may prefer to leave it behind.</p><h2>4. Can childhood nicknames change over time?</h2><p>Yes, childhood nicknames can change over time. As a person grows and changes, their nickname may no longer suit them or may evolve into a different version. Some people may also outgrow their childhood nickname and prefer to be called by their given name.</p><h2>5. Are childhood nicknames important?</h2><p>Childhood nicknames can hold sentimental value and can be an important part of a person's identity. They can also be used as a way to connect with family and friends from the past. However, whether they are important or not ultimately depends on the individual and their personal experiences with their childhood nickname.</p>

1. What is a childhood nickname?

A childhood nickname is a special name that is given to a person during their early years, usually by family members or close friends. It is often used as a term of endearment or to differentiate a person from others with the same name.

2. Why do people have childhood nicknames?

People have childhood nicknames for various reasons. It could be a shortened version of their given name, a name that describes their personality or physical traits, or a name that holds a special meaning or memory.

3. How do childhood nicknames affect a person?

Childhood nicknames can have both positive and negative effects on a person. They can make a person feel loved and unique, or they can be a source of teasing or embarrassment. Some people may choose to embrace their childhood nickname, while others may prefer to leave it behind.

4. Can childhood nicknames change over time?

Yes, childhood nicknames can change over time. As a person grows and changes, their nickname may no longer suit them or may evolve into a different version. Some people may also outgrow their childhood nickname and prefer to be called by their given name.

5. Are childhood nicknames important?

Childhood nicknames can hold sentimental value and can be an important part of a person's identity. They can also be used as a way to connect with family and friends from the past. However, whether they are important or not ultimately depends on the individual and their personal experiences with their childhood nickname.