When Will I Need Math Software in My Studies?

In summary: There are pros and cons to using each program, but in the end it really depends on what you are looking for in a mathematical software.
shelovesmath
Hi all. Ok, so I'm a mathematics major, but I'm only so far as my first linear algebra course right now. I have not had any need to use Maple or Mathematica or Mathlab or a calculator for that matter.

So, I'm curious WHEN I might have to start using these programs (what level math).

Also, is one program better for abstract and one better for applied? I'm not really sure what the pro's and con's are to each program.

I have used the Wolfram Alpha site to check homework answers before. That's about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that "pure" math folks tend to rarely use these while "applied" math folks tend to use these more. The further you go in "pure" math the more proofs and the fewer tools you seem to use.

If someone could produce an easy to use and very dependable tool that would help students become very skilled at writing proofs in their first proof class and would easily and dependably check more advanced proofs for flaws or possible gaps in reasoning then this might very slowly begin to change the culture in "pure" mathematics. Unfortunately, none of those are easy to use or accepted yet.

Last edited:
Hi,

It would be nice to start right now, just like you're doing with Wolfram Alpha.

Maple (or a second choice of mine would be Mathematica) for a mathematician. You can do both symbolic (where x or y or "the parameters" live as they are) or numerical (where all parameters have numerical values) calculations with Maple and Mathematica. MATLAB is mainly for numerical studies, its symbolic engine is not as good as Maple or Mathematica. Sage is also a very nice and free program if you do not want to pay for Maple or Mathematica, there is also a free MATLAB-like program, Octave which is I think very good.

Hello,

As a fellow mathematician, I can understand your curiosity about when you may need to start using math software like Maple, Mathematica, or Mathlab. The use of these programs can vary depending on your specific field of study and research interests. Generally, you may start using these programs in more advanced courses such as abstract algebra, differential equations, or calculus-based statistics. In these courses, software can be helpful for graphing complex functions, solving systems of equations, or performing statistical analysis.

In terms of which program is better for abstract or applied mathematics, it really depends on the specific task at hand. Maple and Mathematica are often used for theoretical and abstract mathematics, while Mathlab is typically used for applied mathematics and engineering. However, all of these programs have capabilities that can be used for both abstract and applied problems. It may be helpful to try out different programs and see which one best fits your needs and preferences.

It's great that you have already used Wolfram Alpha for checking homework answers. These programs can be valuable tools for verifying your work and gaining a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. As you progress in your studies and research, you may find more opportunities to use these programs and discover their benefits. Don't be afraid to explore and experiment with different software options to find what works best for you.

Best of luck in your mathematical endeavors!

Related to When Will I Need Math Software in My Studies?

1. What is "All This Crazy Math Software"?

"All This Crazy Math Software" is a collection of various software programs specifically designed for mathematical and scientific purposes. It includes programs for data analysis, graphing, statistical calculations, and more.

2. Is "All This Crazy Math Software" user-friendly?

Yes, most of the programs in this collection have user-friendly interfaces that are easy to navigate. However, some programs may require a basic understanding of mathematical concepts for effective use.

3. Can I use "All This Crazy Math Software" for my research?

Yes, "All This Crazy Math Software" is widely used in academic and scientific research. It has various tools and features that can assist in data analysis and visualization, making it a valuable tool for researchers.

4. Are there any tutorials or support available for "All This Crazy Math Software"?

Yes, many online resources provide tutorials and support for "All This Crazy Math Software". Additionally, most programs have built-in help features and user manuals to help users navigate and utilize the software effectively.

5. Can I customize "All This Crazy Math Software" to fit my specific needs?

Yes, many programs in this collection allow for customization of settings and features to suit the user's needs. However, some programs may have limited customization options depending on the specific software and its intended use.