Where can I find comprehensive resources for self-learning about cancer?

In summary: Comprehensive Cancer Guide. A comprehensive guide to understanding cancer. Very detailed and in-depth. This is a great book to have if you want to delve into cancer more deeply. It is a bit more comprehensive than the other references I have mentioned, but it is also more expensive. In summary, these are some good resources to get started learning about cancer: 1. Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al.2. Cancer Biology 101 by University of California TV3. iBiology Education - Youtube channel4. Comprehensive Cancer Guide by Berson et al.
LLT71
I come from totally engineering background but I'm passionate learner in my free time! I would like to start learning from the fundamentals about cancer and see if I can get some insights using my (engineering) background, as I'm progressing more and more in my learning career. Just give me your opinions and a real scientific roadmap I must follow, no matter how big it is (or how much it will take!), in order to understand cancer on some very serious level. It could be in form of a books (preferably), videos, forums, MOOCs, YouTube channels, scientific papers and all other resources you think are relevant, as long as it is serious as learning maths.

Please put all that in, what you think is, a right order (from your experience), starting from very foundations.

Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
There are various good popular science books on cancer, such as Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

For a more thorough understanding, you'll need to learn at minimum the basics of cell biology. For this I would recommend a textbook like Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al.

Once you have a good understanding of basic cell biology, a good entry point into cancer biology are these two review articles on the "Hallmarks of Cancer":
http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(00)81683-9
http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(11)00127-9

Likes LLT71
Ygggdrasil said:
There are various good popular science books on cancer, such as Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

For a more thorough understanding, you'll need to learn at minimum the basics of cell biology. For this I would recommend a textbook like Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al.

Once you have a good understanding of basic cell biology, a good entry point into cancer biology are these two review articles on the "Hallmarks of Cancer":
http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(00)81683-9
http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(11)00127-9

Thank you! Any prerequisites for cell biology?

LLT71 said:

LLT71 said:
You should probably be able to follow a textbook like Alberts without too much specialized knowledge. The type general chemistry and general biology courses that any science/engineering major would take in their first year of college are what would be necessary. If you are interested in understanding the biochemistry more deeply, a knowledge of organic chemistry would be helpful.

Likes LLT71
Ygggdrasil said:
You should probably be able to follow a textbook like Alberts without too much specialized knowledge. The type general chemistry and general biology courses that any science/engineering major would take in their first year of college are what would be necessary. If you are interested in understanding the biochemistry more deeply, a knowledge of organic chemistry would be helpful.
Oh, I haven't took any of that :S Would you mind sharing some good books about general and organic chemistry, biology? No prerequisites before that? Do you have any tips for learning all off this stuff?

LLT71 said:
Oh, I haven't took any of that :S Would you mind sharing some good books about general and organic chemistry, biology? No prerequisites before that? Do you have any tips for learning all off this stuff?

Not sure about good textbooks for these subjects. You could try taking a look at syllabuses for 1st year biology and chemistry courses at universities.

Likes LLT71
LLT71 said:
I come from totally engineering background but I'm passionate learner in my free time! I would like to start learning from the fundamentals about cancer and see if I can get some insights using my (engineering) background, as I'm progressing more and more in my learning career. Just give me your opinions and a real scientific roadmap I must follow, no matter how big it is (or how much it will take!), in order to understand cancer on some very serious level. It could be in form of a books (preferably), videos, forums, MOOCs, YouTube channels, scientific papers and all other resources you think are relevant, as long as it is serious as learning maths.

Please put all that in, what you think is, a right order (from your experience), starting from very foundations.

Thank you!

I can suggest the following references for an excellent build up of a strong base of knowledge on cancer.

1. Molecular Biology of the Cell - 6th Edition - Alberts et. al. by Garland Science.
You don't need any previous prep in biology or organic chemistry to understand this at all. I would rate it as number 1.

2. Cancer Biology 101. University of California TV. This is a fantastic introduction to cancer. The best I have seen. Just search on Youtube for Cancer Biology 101 and you will see it.

3. iBiology Education - you will find plenty of superb cancer related lectures here on Youtube. Just search for iBiology Education. I would rate this as the top of all educational videos. I put the channel link for you there, and so you will have to search for "cancer" within the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ibioseminars

4. Introduction to the Cellular and Molecular Biology of Caner by Margaret Knowles and Peter Selby (by Oxford Bioscience)
This is an excellent book on cancer: This would be the next stop, as it contains a lot of detailed research findings and it is more at an advanced level.

5. Primer of the Molecular Biology of Cancer by DeVita Jr, Lawrence, and Rosenberg. This is the most advanced reference once you have learned the basics from the above 4 references.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can be of further help.

Likes LLT71
But there are so many different types of cancer. My fiancee's father was treated for the wrong type of lung cancer in Italy, and most likely led to his early demise.

Likes LLT71
Evo said:
But there are so many different types of cancer. My fiancee's father was treated for the wrong type of lung cancer in Italy, and most likely led to his early demise.

Sorry for your loss, and thank you for this valuable comment. Yes, indeed, you are right. There is no such thing as a single "cancer" disease, there are dozens of different types of cancer. The diagnostic and treatment approach for one type will not necessarily work for all other types.

However, there is a common thread of characteristics that one can identify among all cancer in general: and that is the uncontrolled growth of cells, without any inhibition, resulting in them "piling up" on top of each other to form a "lump" or a tumor.

So, while the underlying causes, symptoms, histologies differ, there is still a lot in common and that is why they are all grouped together under the large category syndrome we call cancer. There is no "one shot" approach to cure all cancer.

However, I believe that with more advances in molecular biology and more in-depth understanding of the human genome, we should be able to discover more commonality and we will be able to develop a broader approach to the control of this insidious syndrome.

Likes LLT71
SciencewithDrJ said:
Sorry for your loss, and thank you for this valuable comment. Yes, indeed, you are right. There is no such thing as a single "cancer" disease, there are dozens of different types of cancer. The diagnostic and treatment approach for one type will not necessarily work for all other types.

However, there is a common thread of characteristics that one can identify among all cancer in general: and that is the uncontrolled growth of cells, without any inhibition, resulting in them "piling up" on top of each other to form a "lump" or a tumor.

So, while the underlying causes, symptoms, histologies differ, there is still a lot in common and that is why they are all grouped together under the large category syndrome we call cancer. There is no "one shot" approach to cure all cancer.

However, I believe that with more advances in molecular biology and more in-depth understanding of the human genome, we should be able to discover more commonality and we will be able to develop a broader approach to the control of this insidious syndrome.

many thanks my friend for the recommendations!

You are welcome, I hope it helps. Actually, I posted the Cancer 101 on the PF videos to make it handy.

Likes LLT71

1. What is cancer and how does it develop?

Cancer is a disease characterized by uncontrolled cell growth and division. Normal cells have a specific lifespan and will die off when new cells are produced, but cancer cells continue to divide and grow without limits. This is caused by mutations in the DNA of cells, which can be inherited or acquired through exposure to environmental factors such as tobacco smoke, UV radiation, or certain chemicals. These mutations disrupt the normal cell cycle and can lead to the formation of tumors.

2. What are the risk factors for developing cancer?

Some risk factors for cancer include age, genetics, lifestyle choices (such as smoking or excessive alcohol consumption), environmental exposures, and certain medical conditions. However, it's important to note that having a risk factor does not necessarily mean you will develop cancer. Many people with no known risk factors still develop cancer, and some people with risk factors never do.

3. How is cancer diagnosed?

Cancer can be diagnosed through various methods, including imaging tests (such as X-rays or MRI), blood tests, and biopsies. A biopsy involves removing a small sample of tissue from the suspected cancer site and examining it under a microscope for abnormal cells. This allows for a definitive diagnosis and can also help determine the type and stage of cancer.

4. What are the treatment options for cancer?

The treatment for cancer varies depending on the type, stage, and location of the cancer, as well as the overall health of the patient. Some common treatment options include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. In many cases, a combination of treatments may be used to effectively treat cancer.

5. What can I do to reduce my risk of cancer?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent cancer, there are some steps you can take to reduce your risk. These include maintaining a healthy lifestyle (eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption), getting regular check-ups and screenings, and protecting yourself from known environmental risk factors (such as wearing sunscreen and limiting exposure to chemicals). It's also important to know your family history and talk to your doctor about any potential risk factors you may have.