Where is the quantization term in Planck's Law?

In summary: Thank you for the summary, it was very helpful.In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the "quantization term" in Planck's Law and whether it exists or not. It was clarified that there is no such term in the law and discreteness is only found in the derivation of the partition sum. Recommendations for further reading were also provided. The conversation ended with the understanding that the question was not properly phrased and the poster was able to find the information they needed on a different forum.
Taulant Sholla
TL;DR Summary
Where is the quantization term (the "n") in Planck's Law?
This is a very remedial question, so thanks in advance for you gentle indulgence :smile: Where do I find the quantization term (the "n") in Planck's Law?
pl.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no clue what you mean. I've never heard about a mysterious "quantization term". You get this equation by calculating the partion sum of the free quantized electromagnetic field.

Likes weirdoguy
Really? No clue?

Planck coughed-up his equation that nicely fit Blackbody radiation curves. His great step was to state that energy occurs in discrete levels. Where is this discreteness found or how is it manifested in this law? Or is it not found in this law and simply contained in E=hf?

It's found in the derivation of the said partition sum ;-)).

With all due respect and utmost appreciation (really, thank you for your insights!) -- your responses provide zero assistance to a poster who clearly advertised the questions as intro/remedial. Maybe there's another forum where I should post this? Or maybe another responder might jump in?

Taulant Sholla said:
your responses provide zero assistance to a poster who clearly advertised the questions as intro/remedial.

You used phrase "quantization term" which I personally (and I suppose @vanhees71 also) did not see in any textbook. If you mean some natural paremeter ##n## like in Bohr quantisation then there is non in Planck's law. If you ask:

Taulant Sholla said:
Where is this discreteness found

then vanhees71 answered:

vanhees71 said:
It's found in the derivation of the said partition sum ;-))

If you ask where to find the derivation, well, The Conceptual Framework of Quantum Field Theory by Duncan comes to my mind, but that is quite an advanced book. He discusses it in historical context in the first chapter. Maybe others will provide simpler references.

That was not my question. I was just asking for a very simplified response to an admittedly remedial question. I posted to physics stack exchange and got what I needed.

I'm sorry that I answered to your question, which doesn't make sense to begin with. If you ask for a derivation of Planck's radiation law, I've of course assumed that you are familiar with the basics of quantum field theory and how to evaluate partition sums for non-interacting particles.

Likes weirdoguy
Taulant Sholla said:
That was not my question.

Then you should work on phrasing your questions properly. We can only answer to what we see.

Likes vanhees71
Taulant Sholla said:
I posted to physics stack exchange and got what I needed.

Then this thread is closed.

1. What is the quantization term in Planck's Law?

The quantization term in Planck's Law refers to the concept that energy is not continuous, but rather exists in discrete packets called quanta. This term is a crucial component of Planck's Law, which describes the relationship between the energy of a photon and its wavelength.

2. Where does the quantization term come from in Planck's Law?

The quantization term in Planck's Law was proposed by Max Planck in 1900 as a way to explain the observed behavior of blackbody radiation. He theorized that the energy of electromagnetic radiation is quantized, meaning it can only exist in specific amounts or multiples of a fundamental unit.

3. How does the quantization term affect the behavior of photons?

The quantization term in Planck's Law has a significant impact on the behavior of photons. It dictates that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength of a photon decreases, its energy increases.

4. Why is the quantization term important in understanding the behavior of blackbody radiation?

The quantization term is crucial in understanding the behavior of blackbody radiation because it explains why objects at different temperatures emit different amounts of radiation at different wavelengths. This concept is essential in many fields of science, including astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics.

5. How does the quantization term relate to the concept of energy levels in atoms?

The quantization term in Planck's Law is closely related to the concept of energy levels in atoms. In both cases, energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in specific amounts or levels. This concept is fundamental to understanding the behavior of atoms and how they interact with electromagnetic radiation.