Where is the recurrence stable in the (n,x) plane for increasing n?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of stability in the (n,x) plane for the recurrence equation E_{n+1}(x) = 1/n(exp(-x)-xE_n(x)), where n is a natural number and x is greater than or equal to 0. The goal is to determine at what value of x will E_n and E_{n+1} be equal. The individual involved in the conversation is unsure of how to proceed and is seeking help from someone with more experience. Possible approaches discussed include computing the difference between E_n and E_{n+1} and finding when it is very small.
member 428835

Homework Statement

In the ##(n,x)## plane, where is the recurrence stable for increasing ##n##?

$$E_{n+1}(x) = \frac{1}{n}\left( \exp(-x)-xE_n(x)\right):E_n\equiv \int_1^\infty \frac{\exp(-xt)}{t^n}\,dt$$
and ##n\in \mathbb{N},\:x\geq0##.

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to proceed because I don't understand what "stable" means in this context. I was hoping someone with more experience could help me out. I typically have an approach when posting here, but this time I'm stuck.

Nothing on this topic is in the book we're using, so I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Stable" usually means unchanging, so my best guess in this problem is that for what x will ##E_n = E_{n + 1}##?

Likes member 428835
Ohhhh gotcha! And thanks! So my thoughts are to write a code that computes the difference between ##E_n## and ##E_{n+1}## and see when that difference is very small. What do you think?

1. What is recurrence stability?

Recurrence stability is a term used in scientific research to describe the likelihood of a phenomenon or condition to recur over time. It is often used in fields such as ecology, epidemiology, and economics to study patterns of recurrence in natural and social systems.

2. How is recurrence stability measured?

Recurrence stability can be measured in various ways, depending on the specific phenomenon being studied. Some common measures include the recurrence interval, which is the amount of time between recurrences, and the recurrence rate, which is the frequency of recurrences within a given time period.

3. What factors influence recurrence stability?

There are many factors that can influence recurrence stability, including environmental conditions, genetic factors, and human activities. For example, changes in climate patterns can affect the recurrence of natural disasters, while human behaviors can impact the recurrence of diseases.

4. How does recurrence stability impact decision-making?

Understanding recurrence stability is important for making informed decisions in various fields. For example, in ecology, recurrence stability can help predict the likelihood of species extinction and inform conservation efforts. In economics, it can help forecast the recurrence of economic cycles and guide investment strategies.

5. Can recurrence stability be controlled or manipulated?

In some cases, recurrence stability can be influenced by human actions. For example, measures such as vaccination and quarantine can help control the recurrence of diseases. However, in many cases, recurrence stability is a natural phenomenon that cannot be fully controlled or manipulated.